Anyone using Spring Cleaning, MacScan or F-Secure?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MowingDevil, Jun 16, 2009.

1. MowingDevil macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

That software has been around for quite awhile, just wondering if anyone has feedback on it to offer?

Or is there another software that is good for cleaning up your drive and most importantly getting rid of spyware and anything like worms?

cheers

2. turkay macrumors regular

turkay

Have you any of them? Are you sure?!?!? :confused:

3. MowingDevil thread starter macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

Thats not really for spyware erradication though is it?

Nah, just precautionary is all. These days you never know and having twice been the victim of credit card fraud I'd like to error on the side of caution.

EDIT: Through my search I also came across F-Secure and MacScan. Anyone have any experience w/ them in terms of SpyWare removal? I've had Norton AntiVirus before and it was a complete waste of time & money for the Mac. F-Scan is only in beta testing right now but is free for now if you want to try it out.

4. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

Forget about Macscan. Paying for Mac AV software is a ripoff. If you really want something, iAntiVirus is free and the best you can get on OS X.

5. MacAndy74 macrumors 65816

I would proceed with installing F-Secure for Mac with great caution. I once installed F-Secure on my Windows PC and the performance hit was astonishingly bad. :(

6. MowingDevil thread starter macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

Well I've been using iAntiVirus for awhile now and it hasn't located anything....yet MacScan demo found all kinds of questionable spyware type stuff. So what is it; either iAV is not doing the job and MacScan is or iAV is fine since there is no spyware on my Macs and MacScan is either paranoid or a scam.

Anyone else have any experience here?

7. MowingDevil thread starter macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

Being reading alot of reviews calling it MacScam however most of the seething ones seem to be a few years old. So is it true that there are no real spyware on the Mac or is this a false sense of security? ...and if so does MacScan do the job? Perhaps they've gotten better over the years...and now that Macs are much more mainstream perhaps there are more malware/spyware threatening users? Protection or fear mongering? I've tried the demo and although it appeared to work very well (maybe too well since iAntivirus detects nothing...but then again MacScan isn't looking for viruses) I'm sceptical to say the least.