Anyone using SPSS stat software from University?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mac000, Feb 8, 2009.

1. mac000 macrumors 6502a

Is anyone using the SPSS stat software from their University?

2. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

3. mac000 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Is minitab any easier to use?

4. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

I have no idea, we only use SPSS.

5. kmaute macrumors 6502

kmaute

Minitab is a bit more intuitive than SPSS. I recommend R, the FOSS version of S+ if you're willing to learn the syntax. Or keep in mind that as long as you have a program that can invert, transpose, and do simple mathematical manipulation to matrices - you have little need for anything else. Excel or OO Spreadsheet program are excellent alternatives.

6. rmb7984 macrumors regular

rmb7984

I use it too. Have for years now. It's actually one of the simplest GUI interfaces I've used in a statistical package. Unfortunately the Mac version is kinda like SPSS's red-headed step child.

7. ksmith80209 macrumors 6502a

I use Minitab under Fusion on my Mac (v14 I think). I gets the job done but is definitely more Windows 3.1 than Mac in look and feel.

8. hsleiman macrumors regular

We use SAS JMP7 software which I believe is Mac only. Having used both SPSS and JMP I highly prefer JMP although SPSS is easier to use for a novice.

9. pooky macrumors 6502

Add another vote for R. I used SPSS (and SAS) for quite some time, and found some annoyingly arbitrary choices that the programmers made in what you were able to accomplish using the GUI. Like the impossibility of using nested variables, but only for certain analyses. Or difficulties in controlling how sums of squares are handled. Or the lack of modern model selection and bayesian capabilities. Etc, etc, etc.