Anyone using squaretrade warranty?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Slammed01, Mar 7, 2016.

1. Slammed01 macrumors member

Hello,

Looking to pick up 2-5S phones as our old phones are being funny. Trade in to Apple, since we have metro pcs with BYOD plan (no insurance) I'm thinking maybe we should get ST warranty for future issues.

Any feedback or experience would be great!

2. dauber, Mar 22, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2016

dauber macrumors regular

dauber

Funny you should ask. Literally the day you posted this I was doing some sound editing while on my lunch break, with my brand new MacBook Pro w/Retina. Knocked a bottle of Cherry Coke all over it. Got the beach ball, then the screen froze, and I forced it to turn off. When I started the computer back up, I got the folder-with-question-mark icon. Forced it off again. And after that it wouldn't start.

Thankfully, I had SquareTrade on this thing. I filed a claim, and a few days later I got a pre-paid shipping box to be sent to a semi-nearby Apple repair place. The mailer had sort of customizable foam padding -- you actually tear pieces out to make it fit your device snugly...dropped off the box to FedEx, two days later got a notice that the repair place approved my claim, and just this morning my MBP came back to me. Judging from the "Laptop Repair Checklist," they had to replace (or possibly repair, but I can't imagine they would have repaired -- especially in such a quick time!) the system board. I fired it up...*boom!* Good as new! Not only did it look like my data was safe after I logged in, but also it opened up Audacity *right to the point in the audio file* where I spilled the Cherry Coke.

My wife and I have been getting SquareTrade for every portable device we don't want to lose. We never, ever want to have to use it, but this time I had to, and I'm glad I did. I won't actually give them an *official* review until, say, 31 days from now. (The repair warranty is 30 days. If it still works on day 31, then I'll post something good on Yelp. :) )

It was pretty hassle-free. I just had to pay a $75 deposit...better than having to pay Apple $800 for a new system board. (The repair facility -- iResq in Kansas -- was having a sale, 50% off, but still, better to pay $75 than $400!)

If you ever have to actually USE SquareTrade, take my advice: whenever they give you a range of days, add one to it and assume it's the HIGHER extreme.

Also...from what I can tell from other reviews, SquareTrade is very reliable with iPhones and other major name-brand things...but if you have an off-brand (like, say, a phone that's neither an iOS nor Android device), they might take a while, possibly even literally giving up and just offering to reimburse you for the cost of a new device.

3. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

We have been using SquareTrade for years. I would never go any other way. For Apple devices, you can get preauthorization to go to the genius bar, and if you have to pay anything, SquareTrade will reimburse you quickly.

They are wonderful!

4. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

I've never used ST for Apple, but I have one on my Samsung TV, and used it for a small dashcam before. They have been excellent in every regard. Good customer service. Honors their warranties. Doesn't hassle you or try to deny your claim just to save money.

The customer service is really outstanding.

5. eclipse01 macrumors 68020

eclipse01

I actually just bought one for my $4,000 TV...I hope I never have to use it

6. dauber macrumors regular

dauber

Oh...a couple of minor quibbles I did have with my SquareTrade experience:

- They don't always update the status of the repair. Case in point, I got my MBP two days ago and the status is still showing "Claim Approved." Only reason I knew things were done is I got a shipping notification from FedEx, and even then I didn't know if they were shipping it back because it was fixed, or shipping it back because they couldn't fix it and gave up. :)

- This probably isn't so much SquareTrade but the repair center, but...the reason I sent my MBP in was because I spilled Cherry Coke on it, and the system fried. They replaced the system board and as far as I can tell the computer works as well as the day I bought it, but...they didn't do anything about the sticky keys. Not a *huge* deal, as the thing does work, and I was able to follow a couple of DIY guides and take care of that myself, but still, it would have been nice if that were part of the repair...

7. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

In my experience, the only quibble I have is with ST's opaqueness on # of claims and amount of reimbursement, at least with smartphone plans.

8. HEK, Mar 24, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2016

HEK macrumors 68030

HEK

Yeah but did they replace the cherry coke ? :)

Don't you just love auto correct.

9. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Sounds like you could use a ST warranty for your coffe-sprayed iPad.