Anyone using SSD + SSD setup on MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Blue604, Dec 12, 2012.

1. Blue604 macrumors regular

MBP 2009 13". I just installed M4 512GB in primary HDD bay. Looking into getting another 240GB in optical bay.

I plan to use the optical bay SSD for bootcamp, and possibly partition 50% for Mac files storage.

From what I read, SATA III SSD are not stable in optical drive, so SATAII SSD is the way to go. I have been checking out (Canada)
    http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227813

Not much sata2 choices out there. Is this a good choice?

Anyone using SSD+SSD setup? which brands are you using?

2. Hats macrumors newbie

In my opinion it's better to have a HDD in the Optical drive bay, you get a lot more space that way- 512 GB is enough for OS X + Bootcamp and a lot more. 2 SSDs' are overkill.

However, the Macbook i own that uses a SATA II cable has a Intel 320 160 GB SSD, I'm very happy with that SSD, and it's more than fast enough given it's only SATA II, I can't say I'm able to see a real difference between the SSD on that Macbook and the one in my rMBP. Hope this helps.

3. Blue604 thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you. right now i have WD 750GB Black in optical drive. I just find the vibration/noise is high. Intel 320 is expensive when I searched around. I guess the main reason for me to go both ssd is noise + storage.

4. Hats macrumors newbie

Ah, well as long as you know what you want, nobody should tell you otherwise. Performance wise, and considering noise and such 2 SSD are better than one + hard drive, so go for it. I don't see why it shouldn't work. And if the prices of Intel 320 have gone up, you could just buy a SATA III SSD and use it with the SATA II cable, you won't get full speed, but if it's cheaper, it's basically worth it.