Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacOSXuser

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 1, 2007
Toronto
I installed 10.8.2, and it felt like really sluggish, if I am watching youtube with safari, the problem is even worse. I tried buying a new SSD and see if SSD is the problem but it is not, the whole system seems sluggish. Is it just me experiencing this issue?

Sital

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2012
New England
I installed 10.8.2, and it felt like really sluggish, if I am watching youtube with safari, the problem is even worse. I tried buying a new SSD and see if SSD is the problem but it is not, the whole system seems sluggish. Is it just me experiencing this issue?

Here are some things that come to mind:

Have you tried repairing permissions?

When you installed the new SSD did you just restore your system from a backup or did you start with a fresh install? It could be that something in your old setup is causing problems.

Check your RAM usage. After a restart, go to Activity Monitor and in the dropdown menu at the top choose All Processes, then under the System Memory tab at the bottom track your Page Outs under a normal workload. If it's high (approaching 1 GB or so) you might need more RAM.

I have an SSD and 8 GB RAM on 10.8.2 and my system is very fast. I don't use Safari, as I have found Firefox to be more reliable. Many other users though have no issues with Safari.

cheezeit

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2010
Dallas, TX
I recently installed a SSD and it was slow on safari as well.... turns out the wifi connection was just slow ;) LOVE the SSD can't ever go back without one.

colloc

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2012

See whether:

A. Safari opens up slowly, open new tabs slowly, close slowly, or
B. Safari opens up fast, reacts fast, but WEB PAGES load slowly.

If A then it's your SSD problem. If B then it's your internet problem. Try running a http://speedtest.net and let us know your connection speed

Stooby Mcdoobie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2012
I've been running Mountain Lion (10.8, 10.8.1, and now 10.8.2) on a Crucial M4 since July and haven't experienced any slowdowns.

ramram55

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2012
try this system preference > system > start up disk > your disk should be highlight otherwise click it and restart, see it helps to run faster.

MacOSXuser

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 1, 2007
Toronto
Here are some things that come to mind:

Have you tried repairing permissions?

When you installed the new SSD did you just restore your system from a backup or did you start with a fresh install? It could be that something in your old setup is causing problems.

Check your RAM usage. After a restart, go to Activity Monitor and in the dropdown menu at the top choose All Processes, then under the System Memory tab at the bottom track your Page Outs under a normal workload. If it's high (approaching 1 GB or so) you might need more RAM.

I have an SSD and 8 GB RAM on 10.8.2 and my system is very fast. I don't use Safari, as I have found Firefox to be more reliable. Many other users though have no issues with Safari.

Yes, tried verify permission, nothing out of place.

When I installed the SSD, I did a time machine restore.

The RAM i have 4GB, which is plenty, always have close to 1GB left.

I find it the sluggish happens when I am watching youtube at the same time, or just finished watching.

Any remedy, suggestions?

Sital

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2012
New England
Yes, tried verify permission, nothing out of place.

When I installed the SSD, I did a time machine restore.

The RAM i have 4GB, which is plenty, always have close to 1GB left.

I find it the sluggish happens when I am watching youtube at the same time, or just finished watching.

Any remedy, suggestions?

Two ideas come to mind.

Create a new user account and see if the sluggishness is there too. If not, it could be something about your old setup that is wonky since you restored from an old backup.

The other thing would be to try a different browser like Chrome or Firefox and see if this solves your problem.

MacOSXuser

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 1, 2007
Toronto
Two ideas come to mind.

Create a new user account and see if the sluggishness is there too. If not, it could be something about your old setup that is wonky since you restored from an old backup.

The other thing would be to try a different browser like Chrome or Firefox and see if this solves your problem.

Great idea, I will actually make a new partition on my existing hard drive, and install a fresh copy of ML, use it for a few days with Safari see if that changes anything.

I used chrome/firefox before, is the same result (sluggishness)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.