Anyone using the ext T3&T5 USB-C SSDs with your MBP? Are they worth it?

Aomin3

macrumors member
Original poster
May 30, 2016
Interested in hearing how and for what you are using them. Especially people with USB-C MacBook Pros. Are they worth buying?

IngerMan

macrumors 65816
Feb 21, 2011
Michigan
I bought the 500GB T5 for $99. It was a good sale and still on sale. I like that it came with both USB C to USB C and USB C to USB A. When I am out in the field and need to transfer large files to another person computer I have both cables needed. Also I can use it on my 2015 iMac that is not USB-C. MBP gets read write over 500mbs and even the iMac using USB A cable gets over 400 mbs

Reactions: SDColorado

jerryk

macrumors 601
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
I have T3 & T5s. they seem to work fine with both Mac and windows systems. They are slower than the 2018 MacBook Pros internal drive at around 450 MB/sec depending on if your files are large or small, large is faster. But for an external drive that is fast enough.

kenvip88

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2018
Ho Chi Minh
I bought the 500GB T5 for $99. It was a good sale and still on sale. I like that it came with both USB C to USB C and USB C to USB A. When I am out in the field and need to transfer large files to another person computer I have both cables needed. Also I can use it on my 2015 iMac that is not USB-C. MBP gets read write over 500mbs and even the iMac using USB A cable gets over 400 mbs
Can I have the link for the sale :D 99$ is really a good price.
Thank you

Clix Pix

macrumors demi-goddess
I have both the T3 and the T5 and they are terrific! Right now I am still using 2015 MBPs with the USB-A ports, and the supplied cables are perfect for this. Eventually I will be purchasing a 2018 MBP and the transition will be so easy because I've got the files stashed in the drives and it will be a simple matter of swapping cables when I need to put files into the new machine, both at the time of initial setup and later on. I use my T3's and T5's for current backup and also what I call "supplementary drives" so that I do not need to keep a lot of files on my internal 512 GB SSD. This system has worked out well for me. On a monthly basis I sort through files that have been added during a particular month and shift anything I don't need immediate/instant access to off to the supplementary drive. It only takes a couple of minutes to plug in the external SSD and retrieve whatever file it is that I need. These drives, especially the T5, are very fast and are really small, making them quite useful for taking along when traveling, too.

vbctv

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2013
Cleveland, OH
Just bought the 500GB T5 at Best Buy today for $99. Using it as a Time Machine of my 2016 rMB hooked to the LG 4K. I have to say it's very fast. Doing the first backup and in 5 minutes already over 10GB backed up, compared to maybe less than 2GB on my older HDD that I used to use. So definitely worth for any use. Might even buy another one for personal use.

robvas

macrumors 68030
Mar 29, 2009
USA
They are awesome. SanDisk has a portable SSD too, both drives have been on slickdeals lately

Aomin3

macrumors member
Original poster
May 30, 2016
Thank you so much for the reply guys! Question for those of you using it for backup (especially Time Machine) - isnt it a waste or even bad for the drive to use it for backups (read somewhere that SSDs have limited number of data it can go through).

aeronatis

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2015
I use Samsung T5 2 TB with my MacBook Pro and Dell XPS. I also use Samsung T3 1 TB with PS4 Pro.

T3 with PS4 Pro definitely improves loading times on games like Witcher 3 and Batman Arkham Knight.

T5 keeps my Steam Library (both MacOS and Windows), Logic Pro X Sound Library, aircraft maintenance database of a work software and some ISO & setup files I keep with me for IT support. I also plan to use it as a cache drive with Final Cut Pro. Before, when I used mechanical hard drives, these processes were nigh impossible. Now, it provides a quite smooth experience which was not possible on the mechanical drives I used to have.

They are also quite small and easy to move around even when on use due to having no moving parts inside. I recommend these devices to anyone who could use similar to my use cases. For regular storage of documents, music, photos and videos, a compact 2.5" mechanical hard drive will do just fine as a much budget friendly price.

RobbieTT

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2010
United Kingdom
They are good drives but I tend to use a fast enclosure with an M.2 SATA drive in it. Cheap, fast, good.

It is remarkable how quickly we get used to the speed before wanting more. I am now waiting on TB3/NVMe drives to become more commonplace!

Reactions: Oldmanmac

Fishrrman

macrumors P6
Feb 20, 2009
I also saw a complimentary review on the Sandisk Extreme portable (USB-c USB 3.1 gen. 2)...

matreya

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2009
I use a 500 GB T5 portable SSD as a bootable clone of my macbook pro's system drive. Works very well and is fairly small and lightweight.

chscag

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
B&H in New York also has the 512GB T5 on sale for $99, free shipping and no tax for out of state sales. Amazon will charge you sales tax.

Painter2002

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2017
Austin, TX
Another vote for the T5. I got the 500GB for about $115. Totally been worth it. I use it extensively for managing photos while editing/culling photos from photography sessions. It’s really fast and been reliable since I’ve had it.

I don’t use the T5 though for Time Machine, I have a separate, older drive for backup.

aeronatis

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2015
Another vote for the T5. I got the 500GB for about $115. Totally been worth it. I use it extensively for managing photos while editing/culling photos from photography sessions. It’s really fast and been reliable since I’ve had it.

I don’t use the T5 though for Time Machine, I have a separate, older drive for backup.
Agreed. Time Machine itself operates too slowly to appreciate the speed of the external SSD. I, too, use a mechanical drive for that.

Reactions: Painter2002

CurtisBilly

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2006
What is your workflow/process for culling photos on the T5?

Do you have the drive formatted as HFS+, APFS or some other format?

RobbieTT

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2010
United Kingdom
Agreed. Time Machine itself operates too slowly to appreciate the speed of the external SSD. I, too, use a mechanical drive for that.
Time Machine throttles to a slow speed to keep the load on system resources low, befitting of a background task. If you want TM to run at full speed, say for a full backup, you can turn the throttle off on a temporary basis. If you always want TM to run fast then you can set it to do so.

Reactions: aeronatis