anyone using the hitachi 7k750 in their optibay?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by happle, Dec 12, 2011.

1. happle macrumors 6502a

just ordered a hitachi 7k750 640gb. anyone know if this is as fast as the 750gb? i know generally the bigger the drive the faster, but not always. anyways, I'm wondering if there is anyone that uses this drive in their optibay. if so, hows the noise, vibration and battery life? my guess is that it will not vibrate near as bad as the superdrive. but I'm slightly concerned about the battery life and noise.

also, does the drive make any clicking sounds from the drive parking its heads often? i usually install hdapm on my drives to stop this clicking and to reduce the load cycle count, which is another concern of mine. not sure what I'm going to do about that for the optibay drive. also iv read that one person claims that the sms sensor does work in his optibay and he even provided a video to prove it...hmmm...

lastly, what do you guys use for power settings and such on the drive? is there any tips you guys have for me to save battery but still leave the drive accessible and performing well?

any tips and info are greatly appreciated. thank you.

2. dpreuss macrumors newbie

Not quite your situation but I installed a 500G 7200 RPM drive in my optibay without issues. The MBP was brand new so I can't compare battery issues but beyond that I wouldn't know the drive was there. I hear the occasional spin up/down but it doesn't bother me.

I left everything at their defaults. If I'm not using the drive no reason to keep it spinning.