Anyone using the OtterBox Defender for iPhone 4s?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by MattMJB0188, Nov 20, 2011.

1. MattMJB0188 macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

I had the new blue one but ended up returning it because the built in screen protector felt loose and would slightly move every time I tapped the screen. I'm just wondering if anyone has any success with the new iPhone 4s Defender case from OtterBox. Thinking about giving it another go.

2. crampinator macrumors 6502

I'm rocking the all black Defender. Protects my phone, but damn it's bulky.

3. senseless macrumors 68000

senseless

I did the Otterbox 4S commuter and it's nice except the ringer switch keeps sliding to mute. The soft silicon strip above the switch keeps pressing into it.

4. MattMJB0188 thread starter macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

How is the built in screen protector? This is the new 4s defender case right?

5. crampinator macrumors 6502

It's not 100% responsive but it works fine most of the time. And yes, it's the 4S Defender.

6. HKUSP.40 macrumors regular

I have the Commuter for my 4S and couldn't be happier. I feel it offers great protection without sacrificing too much size. It also comes with a crystal clear screen protector (dry application) that is really nice! Much better than Zagg.

7. htownmade1984 macrumors regular

I have an all white defender. it's a damn good case, but it is pretty bulky. Want 2 take it off so bad and just use nothing, but afraid to scratch camera lens.

8. MattMJB0188 thread starter macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

Does the screen itself seem like its firm? When you press it does it move?

9. dthree36, Nov 22, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2011

dthree36 macrumors regular

I bought one for my wife who is insanely tough on her phones. She will drop it over and over again for no apparent reason. So far the case has kept the phone in tact and the film cover on the front allows for a responsive input. I personally don't like big bulky cases that nearly double the thickness of the phone but I am the one with a cracked back while my wife's is in perfect condition after at least a dozen serious drops so far.

10. adamoadam macrumors newbie

I have the defender in black, I like it although it is very bulky. I read online that the Otterboxes have heat issues. Anyone notice their phone getting hotter in the box or loosing battery life quicker since having the box?

11. Tonewheel macrumors 6502a

Hotterbox?

12. Walse macrumors member

It's normal for the phone to feel hotter while in one of these protective cases. You are adding layers to the phone, it's only logical for it to feel hotter...especially during charge.

Nothing is perfect, u gain some but u loose some too. =\

13. adamoadam macrumors newbie

I just hope im not doing my phone battery any great damage with the case on.

14. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

I have it in blue and I like it as well.

15. yossarian1010 macrumors newbie

I just purchased the Otterbox Defender (Black) for my iPhone 4S. I noticed the same thing, but I don't detect any lack of responsiveness. I've taken pictures, zoomed in/out of those pictures, used Safari, played a game and even used Siri to place a call and use the iPhone speaker in my car, and I don't think it's any different than using the bare phone in terms of capability. I'll just have to get used to the degraded tactile experience from using this phone with the Defender.

16. yamatitan macrumors member

I have the newer design defender and had the same problem. One day the screen protector fell completely out. I know otterbox has great customer service and would replace it no problems from more then one past experience with my 3g case but I didnt bother and just bought a stick on screen protector.

17. JulesK macrumors 6502

Have the Yellow/Gray one for the 4S

I really like this case; I used the iPhone 4 version for a year, and it was great. I haven't noticed the screen protector being loose; there may be a very slight gap between the film and screen when the phone is in it, but it doesn't affect, as far as I can tell, the usability of the device.

The big advantage of the Defender is that when you insert it screen-in into the clip, the screen is completely protected short of being run over by a car. I don't like, with the 4S version, how the cut-out for the rear camera is so much larger. Much greater likelihood of something scratching up that area.

I used the Defender mainly on weekends; I had a Vaja case for during the week, now replaced with a Speck Candyshell Satin, which is awesome so far.