Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

royinla14

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 12, 2011
I have always used the 4.7 phones and iPad mini at home. Always felt the Plus is too big and the 9.7/10.5 iPad too big. Was excited for the x to come out as I really thought it would also replace my mini use since its screen pretty big. I used the x for 10 days before returning it mainly due to it being too tall and narrow and bit heavy, and went back to the 4.7 8 which I love. Now thinking if it makes sense to actually go for the 8 plus instead given its screen ratio might be more of a mini replacement? Just wondering if anyone here in the same boat or any thoughts.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
I have an 8+ and a Mini 4, but I wouldn't say that the former replaces the latter. There's still a notable difference between a big phone and a small tablet in my opinion.

RobinInOR

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2014
I tried using my 6+ when i gave my mini to my husband. Only lasted about 4 months. It works fine for web sirtes and mail, Kindle was passable but not optimum. Line length was just too short. And landscape mode was just too short. Still too much scrolling.

So i bought a ‘new’ mini and I’m happy again.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
I have the mini before I got the 6 Plus. I don’t really have a need for iPads after buying plus models the past 3 yrs. the plus and a laptop are it for me. Sometimes I wish it was smaller when I run but heck I deal with the size.

Edited to say, “that’s what she said.”

labrat1996

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2010
Lenexa, Kansas
Part of the Reason I got an 8 Plus to replace my 5s is that my iPad Mini is no longer supported and was having issues loading some Apps and Pages and was getting slow. I do find myself reaching for my Husband’s iPad Air a lot though. My eyes start to hurt after awhile if I spend too much time looking at the phone.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I have always used the 4.7 phones and iPad mini at home. Always felt the Plus is too big and the 9.7/10.5 iPad too big. Was excited for the x to come out as I really thought it would also replace my mini use since its screen pretty big. I used the x for 10 days before returning it mainly due to it being too tall and narrow and bit heavy, and went back to the 4.7 8 which I love. Now thinking if it makes sense to actually go for the 8 plus instead given its screen ratio might be more of a mini replacement? Just wondering if anyone here in the same boat or any thoughts.

I don't use the Plus model as an iPad replacement, but I do use it periodically as an in between my iPad, which serves nicely at times.

Sean006

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2008
I would not say I used it instead of my iPad mini but I do use it more than any of my iPads. Love the plus layout

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
the size differences and way you use each device is wayyy different.
Its not really a replacement.
Its just you got used to using a larger phone.
A mini is still an iPad and its use is different from a phone.

Vivian125

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2017

It depends for Some Reasons:
1. If you are Poor or cannot afford to have multiple product at once you can sell your iPad even Deep inside your heart you still need an iPad and you will cry later on bed and realize that your iPad is gone cuz you've sell it.

2. If you have EXTREMELY Clear Eyesight 20/8 vision not 20/20 and above, then the iPhone can replace the iPad. Though it may worsen your eyesight because you are TRYING HARD to adjust and using so much effort just to see in 12 Square inch iPhone Plus Model, vs Less effort seeing on a 30 Square inch Smallest iPad Mini.

Advice:
Take note, it's not about 5.5" or 7.9" it's actually a big difference even for watching a movie. I find iPhone X or 8 Plus seems too Boring to watch a 2 hour movie, even if i have 20/20 vision it hurts my eye while the iPad Mini 4 i can watch several movies even at arms length. On comparison to iPhone 7 Plus i need to hold it closer just to see. The text on Plus/X is even smaller on X because of aspect ratio.

Biggest iPhone is only 5.5" with 12.9 Square inch vs Smallest iPad with 7.9" with 30 square inch. Even you've put the iPhone X, iPhone 6 Plus and iPhone 4S together you will find the iPad Mini is bigger than those three device combined.

Reactions: Breaking Good

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
I sold my mini when I got my 6 Plus back in 2014. I just didn’t need it. It’s just when yo I have a laptop (I always need a computer) and a big screen smartphone my mini gathered dust. I broke the screen I think and sold it to someone who wanted to install one in their car. I never felt I needed an iPad.

Vivian125

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2017
I sold my mini when I got my 6 Plus back in 2014. I just didn’t need it. It’s just when yo I have a laptop (I always need a computer) and a big screen smartphone my mini gathered dust. I broke the screen I think and sold it to someone who wanted to install one in their car. I never felt I needed an iPad.
Yeah, that's a good choice. Money is important than to show off Multiple Gadgets like You're typing on Macbook, then reading at your iPad then pretending to call someone on your iPhone inside the starbucks to make you feel richer than anyone else is very common here in London. The more product you have, the more people think you are cool and rich hence making you superior.

But sadly, the less product you have like you only have ugly Phone like nexus 5 and an old Windows PC people will look down at you. While others has an iPad and iPhone other people who only use an iPhone without iPad feels insecure right? Is common in United States, even worst in Europe and Asia. Because those two continents show off their Gadgets as much as they can even on strangers they don't care even if they got robbed lol.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
Yeah, that's a good choice. Money is important than to show off Multiple Gadgets like You're typing on Macbook, then reading at your iPad then pretending to call someone on your iPhone inside the starbucks to make you feel richer than anyone else is very common here in London. The more product you have, the more people think you are cool and rich hence making you superior.

But sadly, the less product you have like you only have ugly Phone like nexus 5 and an old Windows PC people will look down at you. While others has an iPad and iPhone other people who only use an iPhone without iPad feels insecure right? Is common in United States, even worst in Europe and Asia. Because those two continents show off their Gadgets as much as they can even on strangers they don't care even if they got robbed lol.

Anyone who needs to show off gadgets to feel important is pathetic.

Watch Dave Ramsey on youtube. I don't agree 100% with him politically, but his financial advice makes sense. Anyone can blow money. Its easy to spend your paycheck on BS items, but to actually build your net-worth, to do so is an accomplishment. "don't buy things you can't afford with money you don't have to impress people you don't like."

That Dude changed my financial life.

I made my own financial mistakes early on but its better to learn it in my 20s when I'm single then in my 40s with a family.

Last edited:
Reactions: entropi

Osamede

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2009
I have the 6S plus and I have the IPad Mini 4. They are not similar. Would not substitute one of these sizes for the other...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.