Anyone using the Z410 ZFS beta?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by dolphin842, Dec 16, 2011.

1. dolphin842 macrumors 65816

Technically I'm part of the beta program, but a lack of spare disks (plus a general hesitation at relying on a beta implementation of a filesystem for my personal data) has kept me from actually trying it out.

So, has anyone been using the betas? I'd be interested in hearing some stories of folks who have had either good or bad luck with it.

2. psoz macrumors newbie

Works great, and just as advertised.

While I can't attest to long term stability, I can say the following the quick start with 4 500 gig drives in an OWC Mercury rack case on a Mac Pro running Lion (10.2) I was able to initialize and create the zfs volume. Even though I did it at the command line to take advantage of raidz1, it was all very mac like. The command line arguments were actually easy to understand, and are the same it seems as the UNIX. I formatted my blank drives and then added them to the zfs pool and now I have a functional 1.5 TB volume with snapshots mounted. I copied about 150 gigs of data onto it without trouble and made it a share point on my server. All tests are thumbs up at this point.

(To be fair I did have one problem but it was my fault I added a hyphen where it shouldn't have been and the tool created a very strange folder on my desktop that acted like a zpool but would not show me the data I copied. redoing it without my error resulted in flawless results.)

I have chatted it up with a bunch of my unix buddies who have been using it for some time on their Macs, making do without all of TensComplements nice mac integration. The consensus is that this code is long term stable, there is no reason that one should not use it for "real" data. If there is a problem, well, thats what your backups are for right? Even though this is a highly reliable file system, you still are going to back up your data are you not? So why not just dive in, the waters fine as far as I can see.

But then again I could be posting here tomorrow with issues, it after all is only my second day of testing.

Im going to use this thing as soon as it goes v 1.0 in a production environment. (call me crazy?)

-Paul