Anyone using their imac 2012 as a target display?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Tombs, Feb 27, 2013.

1. Tombs macrumors regular

Tombs

Ok my setup:MBP 13 2012 with windows installed via bootcamp (for work etc) and I want to connect via thunderbolt the mbp in bootcamp mode to the 27 2012 iMac so I can take advantage of a bigger 27" screen. Works fine when my mbp is in OSX but I can not get the imac to work in display target mode when the mbp is in Win 7 via bootcamp. Anyone out there with a similar set up and has managed to do this?

2. Mac32 macrumors 6502a

You should contact Apple about this, and ask them for a solution. This seems to be a flaw with the thunderbolt iMacs, as the previous display port iMacs could work as an external display for Windows PCs (and Bootcamp) just fine.

3. MatthewAMEL macrumors 6502

MatthewAMEL

Google is your friend...

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5219?viewlocale=en_US#13

24. Can I use Target Display Mode or Target Disk Mode with Boot Camp and Windows 7 using a Thunderbolt-capable iMac?

No. Target Display Mode and Target Disk mode are not supported using Boot Camp and Windows 7 on a Thunderbolt-capable iMac.

4. Tombs thread starter macrumors regular

Tombs

Well thats crap isnt it? imac going back as I may as well just get a monitor and tick with a pc...

5. Mac32 macrumors 6502a

Yes, I agree this is total nonsense. Complain to Apple, that's the only way this is going to get fixed. If enough people complain, the maybe Apple will offer a firmware upgrade.