Anyone using their iMac for Maya 2012?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Buffsteria, Jun 11, 2012.

1. Buffsteria macrumors regular

Buffsteria

I was seriously considering a Mac Pro but I might change my mind. The better video card means better navigation in my Maya scene but since the CPU does all the rendering I might not spend all that after all. I do so love the 27" iMac display.

2. Buffsteria thread starter macrumors regular

Buffsteria

3. xxmarkc macrumors member

I have maya 2012 running successfully - but have not done much with it other than work with a few scenes from the mastering maya book DVD. All seemed to run ok.

I have only put maya asside to return to blender 2.6 which runs very nicely on my base spec 27 inch.

I think the iMac is fine for 3d. If i were not happy with 3d performance I would never buy a mac pro. A windows 7 pc is so much cheaper and so you can get an iMac and a top of the line windows box for less money than a mac pro.

4. mikdog macrumors member

running maya 2013 student version. haven't really put it through its paces but so far so good.

5. Buffsteria thread starter macrumors regular

Buffsteria

I couldn't get the installer to run on Lion, it would hang. So if I get an iMac it might be best if I roll back to Snow Leopard.

6. xxmarkc macrumors member

No that is a solved problem. Only one of the components (and a not very important one at that I think it is "Direct Connect" off the top of my head) causes the hang and should be unselected.

Also I installed from the latest service pack rather than from original media and had no problems. The service pack is complete and is not installed on top of an existing installation.

7. fig macrumors 6502a

fig

I'm running Maya 2011 on my iMac but it's a 20" 2.1ghz Core2Duo from late 2006.

I'm pretty sure if I can run it you can :)

8. Buffsteria thread starter macrumors regular

Buffsteria

I know about the Direct Connect, but I use the student version of Maya which is free. I don't know if we also get the service pack. Do you mean the hotfix 4? Please let me know. Thanks!

9. xxmarkc macrumors member

I also have the student edition. The student edition is the same software as the pro version. The licensing mechanism is handled by a licence handler i.e. it is not handled within the Maya executable itself. Autodesk only restrict that you don't make money with Maya not the student edition functionality!

I downloaded the hot fix 4 from autodesk - it is big over 1g - and installed that. It will ask you for your serial number form your original media disks, so you do need that for the installer to work.

I have a base level 27inch 2011 iMac - and the install of the hot fix worked fine.