iPad mini anyone using their iPad mini for productivity?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by isephmusic, Nov 15, 2013.

1. isephmusic macrumors 6502

the stocks app and other information viewing app on the retina mini is REALLY good. so nice and compact but can be set on a desk or used to show 2-3 other people. the air was impractical due to how light the new macbook retinas are... so I'm just seeing if anyone has found ways to make the iPad mini work for them , not just a couch surfing device but something they actually use to make money or enhance workflow. i doubt ill type up papers on iPages but maybe photoshop express or something.

2. Dick Whitman macrumors 6502

Dick Whitman

I used my iPad Mini, Pages, and a wireless Apple keyboard to take notes in a meeting at work the other day.

3. ppone macrumors regular

I mainly use it to reference PDFs and the web while I am doing work on my rmbp. It fits into my workflow nicely.

4. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

That is exactly how i used my mini and now Air iPads.

5. DaCurmudgen, Nov 15, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2013

DaCurmudgen macrumors regular

Absolutely. I have it connected to my work's BYO program and I use it for recording and editing audio. I've also started to use it for hand-drawing and note taking. Because it is more portable than an iPad Air (I can fit my mini in my coat pocket, which I can't do with my 3 or an Air), and perormance/capabilities are roughly equivalent, I think I've found the perfect productivity tool for my needs - music, writing, visual sketches, reading, web surfing, movie watching, texting, and possibly phone calls. I've always hated the idea of phablet, so I'm not sure if I would just prefer a rMini alone or an rMini and a mid-range iPhone to cover all of my mobile computing needs. As I type that on my rMini, I feel like a pompous ass.

6. DaCurmudgen macrumors regular

Absolutely. I have it connected to my work's BYO program and I use it for recording and editing audio. I've also started to use it for hand-drawing and note taking. Because it is more portable than an iPad Air (I can fit my rMini in my coat pocket, which I can't do with my 3 or an Air), and performance/capabilities are roughly equivalent, I think I've found the perfect productivity tool for my needs - music, writing, visual sketches, reading, web surfing, movie watching, texting, and possibly phone calls.

I've always hated the idea of phablet, so I'm not sure if I would just prefer a rMini alone or an rMini and a low-end/mid-range iPhone to cover all of my mobile computing needs. As I type that on my rMini, I feel like a pompous ass. Skewer me, MacRumorites, I deserve it, especially because I think my screen might be a little yellowy, but I refuse to return it. Steve Jobs wanted me to have this very unit. I just know it.

7. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

I use my iPad for:

- Collaboration using WeBex, and Cisco Jabber with the TelePresence server at work

- Use iStat to monitor status of the nodes in our server farm, and either Prompt for SSH or RemoterVNC for Remote Desktop into servers that need it.

- Read PDFs or other document formats are shared by project team members. Store or review using DropBox.

- Take down and review notes with Evernote.

8. Cape Dave macrumors 65816

Great question! I will be looking at both new iPads this weekend. Was really wondering if any folks did work from the mini.

I use Logmein and wonder how well that would work?

9. isephmusic thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm just asking because 9 times out of 10 when i had the air i wanted to do something i chose my macbook. not only is it more comfortable because it just sits on my lap, it also provides MUCH faster work. once you learn mac short cuts like getting to address bar, switch safari tabs, google search then the macbook retinas which are only 2 lbs heavier than an iPad become a more attractive option. so that leaves iPad to do simple things . and if your going for comfort why not just get a retina mini and save 100$ ....

10. VanillaCracker macrumors 68030

VanillaCracker

Just curious, I know many people do this, but how does having an iPad next to your laptop make your workflow better? Wouldn't it be quicker, and more effective to switch from let's say, photoshop, to safari on your laptop, rather then taking the much longer period of time to use your fingers to browse the web on the iPad????

11. OzyOly macrumors 6502a

Reading off the iPad for example a research paper and using full screen programming on a MacBook. That's how it works for me.

12. VanillaCracker macrumors 68030

VanillaCracker

You can't get a second monitor for that? I'm sure a second monitor would benefit your workflow a lotttt more than an iPad sitting nearby. Especially a mini, if it's basically just for reading.

13. OzyOly macrumors 6502a

I work in three different offices and work won't fork out for three second monitors. The mini I use for reading, it's handy for referencing books, websites and papers when I need to look something up.

14. VanillaCracker macrumors 68030

VanillaCracker

Yeah I understand, I guess for most people it's better just to spend $150 for a 24 inch monitor though.

I know people who sit next to me in lecture with a MacBook Pro, full sized iPad, and their iPhone. They take notes on their iPad....and then browse the web on their MacBook....lol. Could easily do both of that (more effectively) on their laptop (since typing in notes on an iPad is extremely slow and inefficient).

15. OzyOly macrumors 6502a

Oh yeah, typing on the iPad is something I avoid. I have my MBA if I'm travelling and need to do serious books. My iPad mini retina will be used mostly for books.