Anyone using their MBPro for Video Rendering?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by 300Billion, Jan 7, 2011.

1. 300Billion macrumors newbie

300Billion

Hello,

I have been asked to recommend a MBPro for a friend that edits HD 1080i video but does not want the hassel of a tower/iMac.

CPU power is one thing on a MBPro when it comes to rendering is not that great from what i see on mine but I have a 2.4Corei5 April2010 15"

Anyone using a Corei7 to render in imovie or FCP that can tell us if its worth it vs a tower or iMac?

many thanks!

fyi: www.NoAgendaShow.com InTheMorning!

2. Hitrate macrumors regular

Hitrate

I'm on the base i5 with 4gig ram - GET THE 2.8GhZ i7 AND 512MB VIDEO CARD. I gotta upgrade because mine's too slow for 1080p multitrack "pro" work, as I'm sort of in the business already, and time is money.

3. AdamRock macrumors 6502a

AdamRock

i use mine to edit in 720p in fcp, ive tried 1080p but personally i think 720 and 1080 look alike.

rendering time is around 30-1hour.
    file size is around 30mb, yes i create 720p with that low file size - compression ftw (best thing is no one notices i compress the **** outta it.)

sometimes my mbp gets extremely hot during rendering though.

4. BJB Productions macrumors 65816

BJB Productions

I only have a late 2009 MBP, so I don't have the fancy i7 or anything; just 2gb of ram, and 2.4GHz. I successfully used Final Cut Pro to edit a 27 minute film using 720p P2 footage. Worked fine.

5. 300Billion thread starter macrumors newbie

300Billion

How long did it take to render that 27 min video and did you have transitions/effects?

6. 300Billion thread starter macrumors newbie

300Billion

Have you tried the MBP with 2.8 i7? and is it faster?
    OR is an iMAC (cheaper) faster?

7. mpr131 macrumors member

You might want to poke around on barefeats.com. I quickly found this handbrake encoding test that might be useful.

http://barefeats.com/wst10c3.html

He also has "real world shootouts" on there that show imovie/fcp/after effects render times. The search tool is pretty good.

8. icehockey77 macrumors member

icehockey77

Hey guys, just got into final cut. I have to edit video over the course of the next few months for my design thesis/final portfolio, and I'm on the 2.8 i7 15", and I was wondering two things, 1) what external drives should I look at for storage, and 2) where should I look to get the extra 4gb ram that I am obviously going to need. I'm looking at crucial since I've heard they are the best OEM parts, but are there any other suggestions? also, I'm looking at the 1TB WD mybook studio with FW800. good enough, right? we get a discount through work ;)

Also, what's the experience been like for those of you with new MBPs for Final cut?

9. BJB Productions macrumors 65816

BJB Productions

30ish minutes-yes had MANY transitions. No real effects, but had many composite shots.

10. mrwonkers macrumors 6502

mrwonkers

I have the 17" i7 2.66 MBP and while it will get the job done I would not call it fast. I have upgraded it with a 7200rpm Seagate hybrid ssd/hdd, and upgraded the ram to 8gb which has made a good improvement over the base configuration. I use FCP/iMovie/Logic pro on it regularly, I mainly edit 1080i footage which it handles ok. Render times tend be 1-8 times the clip length depending on what filters you are applying, chroma-keying two layers can take longer to render but thats to be expected. Whilst its rendering the machine gets quite warm and the fans get a real workout. Before I bought the MBP I tried out a iMac 27" Quad Core i5 which was like lightening compared to the MBP. My advice to your friend is get over the thought of using a MBP for this task, go for a Quad iMac it will handle HD video editing in its sleep instead of nearly exploding like a MBP.