Anyone using Veency on iPhone 4?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by papo2, Aug 2, 2010.

1. papo2 macrumors member

I just downloaded Veency from Cydia, but noticed the cursor is not like it used to be.

On my 3GS using iOS3.x.x, wherever your moved the cursor, it would point to the same place on the iPhone.

Now, the mouse and cursor are offset. For example, if I have my computer's mouse over the Settings icon, the actual cursor on the iphone would be a little lower and to the right. (by the dock)

Is it because of the iPhone 4's larger resolution? am I the only one experiencing this?

2. katoosh macrumors newbie

same for me

tried a couple vnc viewers, same issue

3. papo2 thread starter macrumors member

this is crap.. lol

I hope they fix this soon. This is the only reason I jailbreak.

I USB tether my phone to the PC, since I cannot access my job's wifi. (not that I want to anyways)

4. bella92108 macrumors 68000

I was just introduced to Veency today, and WOW, it's amazing. However, I too share the issue that others on here are reporting on iPhone 4. It's like the resolution it's sending and the resolution on the screen differ, so the cursor on the computer screen and the cursor on the iphone screen are always in 2 separate places.

Not sure who edits the compatibility listing for the Google iPhone 4 Cydia Apps list, but they said YES\YES to this one, and it's NOT compatible as-is, unless someone can tell me what I'm doing wrong. Based on the plethora of online posts about the issue, it's clear it's not just me, but all are experiencing when using ARD to connect to Veency. Bummer, hopefully it gets fixed soon!

5. papo2 thread starter macrumors member

I know. It's ideal for the work-place. lol

Are you connecting via USB, or Wifi?

6. bella92108 macrumors 68000

I like it because I can text\email from it\etc without having it in my hand and having to pick it up and set it down every 2 minutes, haha.

I'm trying to use it over Wifi... connects and works great aside from the mouse cursor issue. If the cursor were in the right place it'd be amazing.

7. jimsong macrumors member

cursor position

Since the iPhone 4 resolution is exactly double that of older iPhones in each direction, Veency interprets your mouse position at (320, 480) as the bottom right corner of the iPhone screen. However (320, 480) on an iPhone 4 is actually smack dab in the middle of the display. Therefore, when you put your local cursor in the middle of the iPhone 4 VNC window, Veency puts the remote arrow cursor at the bottom right corner. It's clear that Veency is not aware that the iPhone 4 resolution is not 480 x 320 and the program needs to be updated. For now, just move your cursor halfway from the top left to where you want it to be.

8. rrandyy macrumors 6502

You should try BluePhone. It basically connects to your phone via bluetooth and lets you send/receive text msgs, make calls, etc without taking the phone out of your pocket. http://mirasoftware.com/BPE2/

Edit: Their website says SMS doesnt work with the iphone. I thought I had used it but maybe it was with my older phone.

9. bella92108 macrumors 68000

Well hopefully Veency will come out with an update pretty quick.. seems like everything else on the device works flawlessly except the cursor resolution, which funnily is the most pivotal feature of the interaction, hehe.

Anyone know how to check status for an update?

10. RonHC macrumors 6502a

RonHC

I had that problem but it doesnt bug me

What does bug me is that my screen resolution makes the Veency window shortened

11. bella92108 macrumors 68000

I agree, if features don't work for now it's not a deal breaker, but if the entire process is broken because the resolution doesn't match and I have to look at the phone to see where my cursor really is, that's a problem that renders the app useless... :-(

12. papo2 thread starter macrumors member

Well it looks like Saurik has started make updates in Cydia now that the unlock has been released. He tweeted the following a few days ago.

Tweet: "With @comex's jailbreak out and behind us, I'm back on fixing duty: new MobileSubstrate fixes Skype redux and Cyntact is in high resolution."

he then tweeted:

Tweet: "As many users discovered, the Skype redux fix broke Maps. I spent most of the day fixing this bug in MobileSubstrate 0.9.3228. @kevinrose ;P"

Hopefully he gets around to Veency, which is one of his apps, soon.

13. kwiebe macrumors newbie

Cursor (Mouse pointer) Issues

At first I just had the annoying problem described here - local/remote mouse cursor discrepancy. Then the remote cursor went away completely and I haven't been able to get it back, regardless of settings I try on vnc viewer. Also tried three different viewer programs, remote cursor has left the building.

Tried reinstalling veency, cursor still awol.

So now I have to guess where the remote cursor might actually be when attempting to use this 'product'. I know you get what you pay for, but it would be nice if it worked. Trying to use a remote control app without a cursor is like stumbling around in the dark. Pretty useless in this condition. :(

14. kwiebe macrumors newbie

15. Stephannn macrumors newbie

Hi Kwiebe,

There's a setting in the "Settings" app, if you scroll down past General and iPod and Photos, where you see "Veency". Swipe "Show Cursor" to on, and your cursor will show in your VNC application.

16. kwiebe macrumors newbie

Thanks. That brought it back. Now Veency just needs to be fixed so that the remote cursor matches the local cursor.

17. bw1128 macrumors 6502a

how do i get this to work on my macbook or my work pc? i have veency on my iphone now.

what are the sets to do it correctly?

18. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

19. leftyno9 macrumors regular

anyone eles getting a bit of delay or lag when using veency? like the screen has to refresh itself to load a new screen? also having the cursor problem. using PC with iphone 4 on 4.0.1

20. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

IT doesn't seen to be update for IOS4 yet, it doesn't know how to manage the higher resolution, that is why you see the lag and the Mouse/pinter location wrong.

I really hope it gets update soon :(

21. MiRod407 macrumors member

How exactly did you do this?

22. papo2 thread starter macrumors member

PM'd you with files and instructions.

Let me know if you have any questions.

23. kwiebe macrumors newbie

Not to hijack too much I hope, but due to my stupidity and blowing right past the iTunes "Wanna upgrade firmware?" option, I wound up having to restore my phone and attempt to re-jailbreak it. I restored it to the previous firmware OK, but for some reason can't jailbreak it again. So this Veency thing for me is moot...

Intarwebs full of posts decrying re-jailbreak failures.

Anyone know why? :mad:

I traded a Windows phone, which has a horrible UI but relatively open system environment, for the iPhone beautiful UI but Nazi-like system environment that requires me to "jailbreak" (assuming it works, which now it doesn't).

I guess it's Android next...

24. thep33t macrumors regular

Complete thoughts.

Form them.

25. kwiebe macrumors newbie