Anyone waiting for Mavericks?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by richard13, Oct 5, 2013.

1. richard13 macrumors 6502a

So, I'm pretty much decided I'm going to go for a new 2013 iMac but I'm currently waiting for Mavericks to be released so I won't have to upgrade my system and possibly have to pay for it.

Is anyone else doing this? Or is this strategy a waste of time?

2. AaronM5670 macrumors 6502

AaronM5670

Probably a waste of time; Apple usually does an 'Up-To-Date' program where they give you a free code to upgrade if you've bought a new Mac within a month of the release of the new version of OS X (in this case Mavericks.) In any case the update is usually $20 or less so it's not exactly like you're breaking the bank even if you do have to pay for it, especially if you've spent $3K+ on a new Mac! :D

3. Bear macrumors G3

If you don't need the new iMac now, then wait. You could always buy it when they announce the up to date program - this way you can run Mountain Lion until you're ready to swap to Mavericks, but still get Mavericks for free.

But if you need the new Mac now, just buy it. It'll probably only be $20 if you don't qualify for the up to date program.

4. Serban Suspended

yes waste of time...you will be getting maveriks for free anyway if you buy now or later

5. Bear macrumors G3

There's no guarantee as to what period the Mavericks Up To Date program will cover. It might cover computers bought today, it might not.

6. WJKramer macrumors 6502

They wouldn't risk pissing off that many people. The timing is on purpose for new iMac owners and Mavericks being released. New iMac owners will get the free upgrade. Most likely see new MacBook pros with mavericks launch as well.

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I agree it is likely anybody purchasing today will get Mavs free, but if it was me I would wait since it is this close. It would be nice to have the latest OS attached natively to the machine's serial number for Internet recovery. JMO :)

8. tomnavratil macrumors 6502a

tomnavratil

I agree with most of the people as you will be getting new OS for free most likely. Apple has done that in the past and there's not much of reason why that should change. Free upgrade later on.

9. garycactus macrumors newbie

It's better wait for Mavericks to be installed in the imac.
    If I do a clean install of Mavericks myself, then I need to reinstall all my stuff again...
    On the recovery disc is the OS that the iMac came with. Current iMac has Mountain Lion. Am I wrong?:confused:

10. Tjosansa, Oct 5, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2013

Tjosansa macrumors regular

Tjosansa

I ordered an iMac.. No way ill wait for such a thing.

11. s15119 macrumors 65816

s15119

There is always one more thing you could wait for.

12. X-Ravin macrumors regular

If you're really impatient you can always pay $100 for a dev account and get the GM now :D

13. AaronM5670 macrumors 6502

AaronM5670

Yeah, but for practicality's sake, $100 is really not worth it considering it'll be coming out in 10 days or so, and a beta is still a beta - it'll have bugs. ;)

14. X-Ravin macrumors regular

Indeed, I was joking really :p But the current release the is gold master, so hopefully that isn't too buggy as it will be what is released to the public.

15. AaronM5670 macrumors 6502

AaronM5670

I know, I know. ;) It's not even as if the differences are that big, the only useful thing I'll use on a day-to-day basis is the Finder tabs and tags, the main changes are more power efficiency, but obviously this doesn't matter as we have desktops! :)

16. iriejedi macrumors 6502a

iriejedi

:) couldn't resis...

Technically everyone is waiting for Mavericks since it is not released yet...

17. topmounter macrumors 68020

topmounter

18. Serban Suspended

It will be a good faith that apple gives for those who bought even the macbook air 2013 maveriks for free

19. faxao macrumors regular

:d

20. KaraH macrumors 6502

If Mavericks is released soon you get the up-to-date program.

If Mavericks is not to released soon there is no reason to think the price will be substantially different than Lion and Mountain Lion ... which are/were 19.99.

So about the only reason not to wait is so you do not have to run the installer I guess?

21. richard13 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes, having Mavericks as the original OS on the system is one of my main concerns here. That, and I won't have to do a clean install right after getting a brand new computer.

Snow Mavericks... LOL!

Yup. Not having to mess with a brand new machine shortly after purchase is a good reason IMHO. It's not the cost at all.

22. MikeChicago macrumors member

Yup, the cost of an upgrade is marginal at this point. Paying $20 to upgrade on your own terms might be worth it anyways. Although I suspect Mavericks will be a great upgrade!

23. Zerotolerance macrumors member

I ordered my iMac now deliberately so that I could get it with Mountain Lion. A new OS is always going to be buggy, and I'd rather have a fairly stable OS to begin with, and then I'll upgrade to Mavericks once it's been around for awhile.

24. WJKramer macrumors 6502

If you get the free upgrade through the App Store you should be able to install on your other Mac(s) for free!

25. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

Another thought...when you buy a mac it normally can run that version of osx and future releases until no longer supported...so if you buy a Imac today you get the bonus of knowing yours can always run mountain lion (although I'm guessing the ones released with mavericks should also be able to?)