iPad mini Anyone waiting for the iPad mini 3 with TouchID?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by JayDH, Nov 2, 2013.

1. JayDH macrumors 6502

I got an iPad mini last year and fell in love with it right away. Sold my iPad 3 the next day. I've been to the Apple Store twice since the Air was released, and I just don't like it as much as the mini. Just a personal preference.

So, I'm considering getting the new iPad mini later this month. A small part of me wants to wait for the TouchID on the next mini, but living without a Retina display and A7 will be tough for another year. Interested in hearing your thoughts.

2. Brittany246 macrumors 6502a

3. herdnerfer macrumors 6502

What do you do on your iPad that makes TouchID so valuable?

The only real value I see from it is buying apps without having to type in your password, but that's not something I do very often to wait for the feature to become available.

4. double329 macrumors 6502

iPad Mini Air will have retina scan and touchID.

5. mashinhead macrumors 68020

Now but wait til they open it up to third party developers.

6. d123 macrumors 68000

d123

No, I can live without touchID, it's not a big deal on an iPad.

7. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

You are forgetting the security aspect of "Touch ID". If the unit is stolen, the thief has basically a brick. This may slow down the spate of thefts and make using your iGadget much safer.

8. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

I can see wanting touch id on a phone but on an ipad its not a dealbreaker for me. I feel like it would be somewhat more awkward to use touch id on an iPad vs say a phone. Tom you are right. It does provide an additional layer of security.

9. N23 macrumors regular

Nope, such a small feature to wait on for an entire year.

10. Epiphron macrumors regular

and next year when iphone 6 will have some revolutionary feature, you'll be waiting on that for the ipad mini 4, but if you wait another year, you'll get a crazy revolutionary feature on the ipad mini 5 and on and on. :apple:

11. edhchoe macrumors 6502a

edhchoe

Not impressed by touch id.
    If iPad mini 3 has phone function that will attract even more buyers. But iPad will never get the phone function.

I am waiting for mini2.

12. comatose81 macrumors 6502a

I'm waiting on the iPad mini 12 which will have Rectal ID Mark VII

13. shaown macrumors regular

I'm probably going to wait. Ever since I got the 5s - my iPad Mini gets so much less use - primarily due to TouchID. I have to maintain a complex 8 character password - so my ip5s unlocks instantly - and I have to sit here and type it on the iPad mini (and I've discovered whatever quick thing I am looking up just takes longer on the mini due to that).
    -Shaown

14. Ahonen macrumors 6502

Ahonen

Touch ID was a big deal for me on my iPhone because it goes out and about with me, and I keep my phone set on instant lock. I use my iPad differently. It seldom leaves the house, and I set it to lock after one hour. For me personally, Touch ID is unnecessary. If I was still going to university, I'd definitely place a higher value on it.

15. herdnerfer macrumors 6502

This is true of the passcode as well....

16. ucfgrad11 macrumors member

Not a deal breaker but I keep holding down my thumb on my Air and expecting it to unlock!

17. herdnerfer macrumors 6502

This would drive me crazy, I don't even lock my iPad...

18. macduke Suspended

macduke

You joke, but I've read that, ahem, the tip of the male sexual organ can be used to unlock an iPhone 5S. So who knows what else works. As you can clearly see in my sig I have an iPhone 5 so it wasn't me who tested it!

As for waiting for the Mini 3, I am too. My wife and I were each going to buy iPads this cycle, but decided to share for another year on the Mini Retina. I'm holding out for other reasons, such as RAM for future creative apps that are in the works by companies like Adobe and would greatly benefit from more memory. I also have a hunch that iPad Pro is in the works. Though I doubt it will come in a mini size, I'm hoping that a 5" iPhone 6 will help fill that gap as I will be due for an upgrade next autumn.

19. nutmac macrumors 68040

I will be getting the new mini but if I were to wait, it wouldn't be for Touch ID but larger amount of RAM (2GB would be my guess). Don't get me wrong, Touch ID is useful, but since I don't unlock iPad nearly as often as iPhone, it is not quite as impactful.

20. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

Waiting for an iPad with Touch ID is like waiting for a train you heard someone mention, but isn't printed on the schedule.

May as well get on the train that's comin' now.

21. zombierunner macrumors 6502a

zombierunner

get ipad mini 2 now and buy ipad mini 4 in 2 years time ... need to use device for 2 years to justify cost

22. betabeta macrumors 6502a

No longer feel I even need a Mini

iPhone for daily about an about

iPad Air I can easily take with me on trips (light enough and small enough)

just waiting for an iPad Pro with 13" screen to fill the home need.

I was going to buy the Mini Retina, I waited for it and now I just don't see a need, and when a larger iPhone comes out I really don't see a need for me.