Anyone waiting on Windows 8 tablets?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by TSE, Apr 4, 2012.

1. TSE macrumors 68030

While I really think the iPad is currently the best tablet out right now (I am not the biggest fan of Android), I am currently holding up buying the iPad before Windows 8 ARM (or perhaps x86) tablets hit the scene.

The thing that excites me the most about Windows 8 Tablets is the idea of using Microsoft Office natively to take notes with so I don't need to haul around my MacBook Pro everywhere - and the fact that a lot of them will most likely be cheaper than the iPad.

Anyone else in the same boat as I am for different reasons? Would be interested in them.

Also, do you guys think Windows 8 ARM version will have as much applications support as the x86 side of things?

2. sphinx99 macrumors member

It did not stop me from getting the new iPad, however that does not mean that I am happy with Apple's walled garden. The Metro UI looks amazing, and if the Windows 8 tablets pair that with some stability/efficiency plus application compatibility with at least some of the desktop OS, then it's going to be a great alternative for people who aren't fully invested in iTunes.

3. falcora macrumors 6502

4. urkel macrumors 68030

I'm primarily a Mac user but I've also always had a Windows machine. So while I'm not necessarily "waiting" for windows 8, the next time I upgrade my PC it will definitely be a Windows 8 Tablet.

I'm not really enjoying the Win8 Preview on my laptop but I do see a ton of value on a convertible laptop.

5. erawsd macrumors 6502

I'm def looking forward to the x86 tablets. As much as I love my iPad its still limited to toy status for me since I can't really use it for work or school without huge sacrifices to efficiency.

I'm happy to see MS is aiming for more of a "middle ground" solution and I'm eager to see how it turns out.

6. foxnews1 macrumors 6502

Window 8 tablets are too new to the iPad-dominated market in both hardware and apps. It will take a couple years before window tablets can be polished and catch up with ipad. Window phone still struggle after all this time.

You don't want to be an early adopter and beta tester for window. Microsoft has an up hill battle to fight.

7. rpenzinger macrumors member

Here's another: Brick

8. dstar macrumors regular

I'm hoping the ARM version is available through my technet account and I can load it on my HP touchpad.

If not I'll see who's hardware I like and pick one up. I think windows 8 is going to be great.

9. EarlZ macrumors regular

I find that Win8 Tablets are very exciting, It may give both iOS and Andriod a run for its money, hopefully the ARM version runs as great as the x86 versions on slate tablets.

10. davenz macrumors regular

MS has tried and failed with tablets, and portable music, and phones. the OS is too PC like. Either iOS or Andriod for me.

11. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

I'm not waiting, no...

The lack of compatibility with existing applications kills any interest I might have had with the ARM version (I don't want to buy into a whole new ecosystem), and the x86 versions will most likely be out of my price range.

12. Old Smuggler macrumors 6502a

Old Smuggler

13. batotman macrumors 6502

Windows mobile sucked. Microsoft never could figure out how to do a mobile OS and this hybrid desktop/tablet OS is awful. This coming from a guy that liked Vista. Got the consumer preview...hate it.

14. brentsg macrumors 68040

I don't recall the last time that I enjoyed using any Microsoft product that wasn't an Xbox. I can't imagine wanting to try one of their tablets.

15. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

I don't "wait" for any product.

There's far too many interesting things to focus on, instead of wasting time & mind set on something that's not currently available.

Get into the present, learn everything about your current device & enjoy what you have. Tomorrow will be here soon enough. :D

16. engelke2010 macrumors 6502a

I loved the Zunes that I had. In fact, the main reason I got my first iPhone a couple of years ago was the total lack of apps on the Zune HD. I also loved the Zune music service. However, I am not waiting for the Windows 8 tablets. Besides the fact that I am very happy with my iPad, I hate the look of the tiles on Windows phones.

17. scupking macrumors 6502a

One thing I like about apples os and iOS is that they just work. I don't think windows tablet will take off just like there phones never did. The reason Apple is killing the market is because they make the software and hardware.

18. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

Windows 8 tablets face the same issue as prior MS tablets, just in reverse. Instead of putting tablet elements into a desktop OS, they're now putting desktop elements into a tablet OS. I tried the consumer preview edition and it was an unmitigated disaster. The transition between legacy Windows and the Metro UI is jolting and inconvenient. And Metro UI apps aren't nearly as flexible as legacy Windows apps (at least not yet). It will take a whole lot of developer support for the Metro UI ecosystem for Windows 8 to be successful. With all this momentum for iOS and Android, I just don't see that happening. I see Windows 8 mirroring Windows Phone 7's adoption levels in the market.

On the other hand, I DO find it exciting that they're at least trying to bring desktop power to a tablet form factor. I think THAT is the holy grail ... the day when all debates about whether the iPad is or isn't a content creation device end ... the day when I can use my iPad anywhere and everywhere without worrying about incompatibilities or incapabilities.

19. nfl46 macrumors 604

No, I'm not. I'm awaiting the iPhone 5...or whatever its going to be called, though.

20. Buckeyestar macrumors 6502a

Buckeyestar

I finally ditched Windows in favor of a Mac, why in God's name would I go back to Windows on a tablet?

21. Booji macrumors 6502a

Booji

Being an early adopter here has no benefits. It will take at least 1-2 years for an ecosystem to be built up.

I will wait and see - until then I love my iPad 3 and the great apps.

22. GoodToGo macrumors newbie

People don't get Microsoft. See Microsoft is not new to this whole mobile thing. They have dabbled into it before and failed miserably. Case in point, windows mobile 6.5 and their tablet venture in 2000. Microsoft just doesn't know how to do mobile OS, period. They are kings of making bloated OS's that run ok on x86 chips but run like crap on anything else.

Look at their development history. What was so revolutionary about windows 7? Or what made it so much better than XP? Well....just about nothing. There are incremental changes but that is about it. Microsoft has stopped innovating since a long time. I am sure one of the arguments is that "It's different this time!" I have seen this too many times and am frankly just not buying it. Its not different...its the same turd packed in a shiny box.

You think Android is fragmented? Look at windows 8. Its not even out the gate and already there are two versions: x86 and ARM. ARM cant run legacy apps (unless recompiled). What a joke, what am I supposed to do with the ARM versions? x86 is going to take time because Intel (like Microsoft) cant do the mobile market properly.

Another factor is cost. Android is free because Google gets money from ads. Apple makes software and hardware and so can subsidize the tablet costs. What about Microsoft? They don't run on advertising. They are not making their own hardware either. So they will charge for the new software. Even if you assume $50 for the software costs, its huge. In this market where you have tablets for $200 and $150 tablets by year end, $50 is a game ender right there. You can never succeed if you have higher price than the entrenched competition. You know why the new iPad is doing so well? Its price point, $500 is just too good to pass up.

You are really setting yourself up for disappointment. If you don't like android, go with iOs. If you don't want iOs also, then I guess its windows 8. Just don't get your hopes up too high.

4 cents

23. Old Smuggler macrumors 6502a

Old Smuggler

it would be cool too see what they come up with

24. erawsd macrumors 6502

[/quote]

I can def see Win8 beating out Android in the tablet space, Android tablets are practical dead in the water anyway.

On smart phone there really isn't any point in picking up a Windows Phone vs a iPhone -- it has nothing unique or interesting to offer. However, a Win8 tablet does bring a lot of advantages and appeal that iOS doesn't (currently)offer.

I think the real make/break factor for Win8 will be Intel and its ability to deliver a competitive x86 mobile chip. I don't see W8 ARM being a big deal since you forfeit so many of the advantages.

25. William.Mantle macrumors 6502

As long as its lighter with no screen or heat issues then i'm sold