Anyone wanna feedback to save "work spaces" in spaces?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by bluedoggiant, May 13, 2008.

1. bluedoggiant macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

Now Like spaces, but just came up with a good idea, workspaces, a certain arrangement (workspace) for homework, work, or whatever, that would be very helpful, like presets u can edit.

Feedback it here: http://www.apple.com/feedback/macosx.html

2. callmemike20 macrumors 6502a

callmemike20

This can already be done. Just make a space for your homework and have homework apps launch in that space only. Do the same for everything else. If you are talking about having "workspaces" and "homework spaces" as two different sets of spaces, then that would just get too confusing. It would be like having spaces within spaces.

3. bluedoggiant thread starter macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

Your not getting my point...

4. Neutral Gamer macrumors 6502a

Neutral Gamer

I'm not getting your point either mate. Can you explain your idea more fully?

Is a "workspace" supposed to be a collection of spaces or simply a collection of windows that can be recalled?

5. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

well perhaps explain it further :rolleyes:

6. bluedoggiant thread starter macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

Ok, so you have spaces...AWESOME. You can set apps for certain spaces...SWEET.

But you use the computer for what...WORK...SCHOOL...FUN...ETC

And you have X number of spaces...RIGHT?

For school, you use pages, itunes, safari, address book (EXAMPLE)

For work you use CS3, FCE, LOGIC (EXAMPLE)

for fun its safari, Mail, ichat, WHATEVER

And you want each in its own space, while Space's current feature can do that, maybe you want safari in space 1 while doing homework, and safari in space 3 while doing your fun. So I think WORKSPACES would help, a preset that you make and customize that you chose from the spaces menu bar thingy, and it will open all the apps in their right spaces, when your finished your HOMEWORK, and ready for fun, you select another preset (WORKSPACE), and it will open all the apps set up for it in its specific space.

You get my point now?:cool:

EDIT: nice avatar XUKHCx :rolleyes:

7. callmemike20 macrumors 6502a

callmemike20

So....basically its [work]spaces within spaces. Sure, it would be nice to have apps open in two spaces, but this can cause some conflicts. Remember, spaces doesn't really make different desktops, it just kind of organizes everything. So when you have safari running, it is actually running the program no matter what space you are in. So when you close the app in one space, what happens to the open safari in another space? It's still the same app in the Activity monitor. I say we just keep it how it is. These workspaces are a little too confusing.

8. GroovyLinuxGuy macrumors regular

GroovyLinuxGuy

This might work.

Create different accounts for each activity...work, fun, school.

Then log into the different accounts and set up spaces to have each application start in the space you want.

Use fast user switching to go from school to fun to work.

Cheers

BTW...that sounds like an awful lot of work....I just drag my apps from space to space if I need to rearrange

9. reubs macrumors 68000

So you want the option with the Spaces preference pane to assign an app to more than one space? I really don't see how that's too much to ask, and maybe that'll be a feature in a future update.