Anyone want/need a PowerBook 5,4?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by fuchsdh, Mar 12, 2015.

1. fuchsdh macrumors 6502a

So the office cleaning continues. Dug out the old production laptop and managed to actually find the charger for it (the days before MagSafe were sad ones.) Currently wiping it and reinstalling Leopard. Everything was depreciated and written off taxes ages ago, so this might be another candidate for going to a good home.

Specs:
    15" PowerMac G4
    1.5GHz Processor
    1GB RAM (one slot empty)
    Radeon 9700
    80 GB HDD

Thing boots up and runs no problem, although given my colleague's proclivities with using their laptops, I cannae' say how much unnecessary roughness this machine has seen :)

Since this thing is heavyish and big, and I hate the post office, I'm giving preference to anyone who's actually willing to come to northern Virginia or Washington DC to pick it up in person. And don't worry, this hasn't all been a long con to lure MacRumors forumgoers to their death. I do that on other sites! :D

2. MatthewLTL macrumors 68000

MatthewLTL

i am interested if you get no local takers

3. jbarley macrumors 68030

jbarley

Glad you cleared this point up, I was just starting to hear 'duelling banjos' in my head.:eek:

4. MatthewLTL macrumors 68000

MatthewLTL

lol

5. MonksMac macrumors 6502a

MonksMac

I'll throw my hat into the ring as well if no one local is interested. I'd definitely be happy to pay for shipping since I know they're pretty large to ship. :):apple:

6. Gamer9430 macrumors 68020

Gamer9430

I'll take jt

----------

*it

----------

Oh, you said local... Well i would pay shipping too

----------

wait... I got a great idea. When you send the free software, put the laptop in as well and I'll pay for the shipping of the entire thing ;)

7. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I would be happy to take that machine to a loving Mac nursery. I can pay shipping and a little bit as a token of appreciation.

8. Arcady macrumors 6502

Arcady

If nobody else local has taken it, I could pick it up. I'd love to have a replacement for my PowerBook that died.

9. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

I'll step out as I think I have enough Powerbooks(famous last words!) but want to again thank you for your generosity in giving this away.

10. Gamer9430 macrumors 68020

Gamer9430

Yeah, like bunn said, thanks for your awesome generosity with all these give always!

11. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

Beat me to it, fuchsdh is one of the most generous people I've seen on this forum.

By the way, just how many total PowerPC Macs do you have?

12. Gamer9430 macrumors 68020

Gamer9430

This... I don't thing anyone could have said that better.

13. L Oquence macrumors regular

L Oquence

I'd like it. I have a friend who needs a good laptop for garageband.

14. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

I posted a list in this thread

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1851072

At the time, it was 42 PPCs. Since posting that, I've added a Yikes! G3(not in my hands yet) and a 400mhz TiBook(not working but I hope will be an easy fix).

I also need to try and put together a few iBooks and Powerbooks from the parts box.

15. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Ordinarily, I'd have you beat…except my wife thinks I have more than enough right now. :D

16. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

I'd be interested but you're on the other side of the country :(

I wonder... how much would shipping be for such a Powerbook? Across the entire United States, from east coast to west coast?

17. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

They can be shipped in a large flat rate box for about $16

18. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

Wow that's not bad... I thought it would be $40 or something like that.

19. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

I just had my TiBook shipped flat rate (cost me $15 on ebay, idk the actual but people here say $16). The box fit the computer and charger just fine. I have a fear of Post Offices for a number of reasons. My biggest fear is getting stuck in a huge line of people with only one clerk working the desk. The people are all old and spend 20 minutes each picking out which stamps to buy.

That's really nice that you're willing to donate it to someone. If you don't get any takers local here, I would try finding a young, passionate, underemployed or underprivileged person that would appreciate and utilized it.

If you do decide to ship it, you should devise a contest to see who should win it.

20. Arcady macrumors 6502

Arcady

Did anyone claim this yet?

I'm more than willing to pick it up if it is still available. It would be most appreciated.

21. MisterKeeks macrumors 68000

MisterKeeks

If you purchase the postage online, you don't need to wait in line to send it, you can just put it in the drop box.

22. spf2 macrumors regular

spf2

I'm in if there is a contest. Also, you can't drop a package in the dropbox unless it is less than 13 OZ. You can just take it to the counter or they have an area for pre-paid packages. If you accept paypal, you can print shipping label at home and just drop off at the Post Office. Its really quick.

23. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

The 13 oz. rule only applies to packages with postage stamps. If you use the prepaid shipping labels such as you can generate through Paypal/Ebay, you can drop them any box provided that they will fit. I've put boxes weighing several pound even in my curbside box at home and the carrier has no problem accepting them.

Many post offices have "big" boxes inside where you can drop prepaid packages of pretty large size without standing in line.

As I understand it, the over 13 oz. with stamps rule is designed to avoid mailing heavy packages anonymously. The bar-coded labels that online service generate are anything but, so the postal service is okay with them being dropped wherever.

24. spf2 macrumors regular

spf2

That may be the case, I must have caught a grumpy mail employee collecting the mail. He sent me inside when I was planning on putting the package in the mail dropbox. I verified it and you are in fact correct sir.

http://blog.stamps.com/2011/03/15/usps-13-ounce-mail-rule/

I guess even some mail employees don't know.

25. Gamer9430 macrumors 68020

Gamer9430