Anyone want to guess about upgrade pricing?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Enigmafan420, Jun 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Enigmafan420 macrumors 6502a

Enigmafan420

Okay so I got my 3G about a week after it was released last year. So I will have 12 months to go on my contract when the expected release of the 3rd Generation iPhone occurs.

Anybody want to guess what AT$T will want to charge for an upgrade for someone in my situation?

2. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

My guess is just like currently: 399/499 with a 2 year agreement. You could be eligble for a early upgrade at the 199/299 price depending on lots of factors that would be too long to describe (How many features you have, how many lines, how long you've been a customer etc etc etc). To find that date login to OLAM and try to upgrade to a phone ... it will tell you the date your edible for a upgrade (Should be around 18 months).

Of course without a contract it's like 599/699

3. shrimpdesign macrumors 6502a

shrimpdesign

I've heard AT&T will offer upgrades if you've been on a plan for at least 8 months, but only if you start a new 2-year contract. That's just what I've heard. Talk to a rep.

4. CherryJello macrumors regular

No one really knows.

Some say AT&T are going to stick it to you just like all of the other cell phone customers and make you pay full price.

While others say it is clear that Apple and AT&T have a special relationship unlike any other in the cell phone business. So the old rules might not apply.

My feeling is that the price points will stay the same for one main reason...The numbers don't lie, hundreds of thousands of more people bought the 3G due to the fact it was so much cheaper. Many of these people will want to upgrade to the new, flashy hardware but would never drop $500 or $600 dollars on a phone. Telling all of the people who bought a 3G iPhone "sorry, your going to have to wait a year if you want this at a decent price.." is a bad business plan.

I think the people who write "3G owners are SCREWED!!11!" are probably smug 1st Gen owners who after two years on edge, feel vindicated in their cheapness.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.