Anyone want to make a golf app

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mathewr, Jun 10, 2008.

1. mathewr macrumors 6502

Can someone make a golf app that utilizes the gps ability. So the application will be able to say u are 150 yards from the hole. Id be willing to pay 30 dollars for something like that.

Thanks

2. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

wouldnt the developer have to have gps information for every golf hole then? that would be pretty hard i am thinking

3. imaketouchtheme macrumors 65816

There are already patents out for that, take a look here.

That would be pretty sweet.

4. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Indeed. They would need detailed location information of every hole on every golf course the app was to work on. No small task. $30 might be coming up a bit short.

5. ipodtouchy333 macrumors 65816

I was thinking about making a few apps, but I have no idea where to start. Is it really that hard? I know it depends on what you are doing but I think it would be really neat to make apps. I am pretty "technology savvy" but have no idea where to start with making apps for the iPhone.

6. imaketouchtheme macrumors 65816

There are already a ton of these devices and the only reason they sell for about $100, is because of the hardware, not the software. Since the iPhone already had the hardware, then it would be cheap and easy to port over the software.

7. mathewr thread starter macrumors 6502

there are already gps golf systems that say how far u are from the hole. they cost like 300 dollars. someone who makes those could probably make something for the iphone

8. tsice19 macrumors 6502a

tsice19

Is GPS accurate enough to do that though? Seems like it would need to be implemented with Wi-Fi somehow by the golf course.

9. imaketouchtheme macrumors 65816

Yes, there are already a lot of devices that do this.

10. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Never been golfing (more than putt-putt anyway) myself but all you would really need is an app that can calculate distance. Go to the hole and "tag" your position then golf the hole. Maybe that's not proper golfing though. I don't think it'd be that hard to make a program to keep track of location and holes then your first go of the course you'd have to mark your locations but the next time you went to that course you'd have the data available. Then you wouldn't need a database of holes from a central server although somebody could set one up I'd imagine.

I suppose it wouldn't work to mark them yourself if you were a world traveling golfer but if you just went to your local course often (which I imagine is what most people do) it would work. You could even add a score card in and such.

11. Jeromie macrumors member

For people who play regularly on the same course, you could memorize the course on the first play through. If there was an option to upload memorized courses to a central repository, people could then download courses that other people have memorized. If it became popular enough, the course could even send someone out with an iPhone and upload an official version to the repository.

I could see this working, even without an existing repository of GPS coordinates for golf courses.

12. heyp macrumors 6502

it could probably be done using sky caddie's database, but sky caddie requires a subscription... do all companies that use gps for this require subscriptions?

13. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

There are 2 main ways you can do this:

As for a nationwide product. You would need the exact positioning of every hole on the golf course. That can be easily taken with a GPS system already, and then you have yours, and it will say what direction and how far you are away from the hole.

OR, you could have your own app, where you go to the golf course, and you take positioning of each hole. This would be the easier thing to do, but you need to get the positioning yourself, thus if you go to a new golf course, it won't work.

YOU COULD have this like a whole database though, so someone with another iPhone can do the same thing and before you know it, every golf course has it.

14. mathewr thread starter macrumors 6502

i feel this could be one of the most useful apps. i just wish i knew what the best way to get started would be

15. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

i like this idea a lot.

you just have to worry about the patent, but you can work around it by doing it in a different way.

16. mathewr thread starter macrumors 6502

maybe i or other people that would like to help me with this could work with a company who already does this. I will never do anything in my life for money. I thought of the idea cause there are so many times i say how far am i. maybe with the gps cabailities it could also factor in weather ie wind to help me figure out which is the best club to use. thats how apple can really go after corporations

17. fluff macrumors member

SkyCaddie

Dont you guys think that Sky Caddie will just port their software to the iphone? They already have one of the largest GPS golf databases, so it would only make sense...Hopefully it is not too expensive, as I think it would be pretty awesome....

18. lesliegolf macrumors regular

This and walking GPS directions are two apps I would love to see on the iphone. Heaven help my battery though.

19. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

I'm a competitive golfer and would absolutely LOVE this!

20. imapfsr macrumors regular

imapfsr

I bet you that Intelligolf has an app ready for iPhone on July 11th or very close to that date. I have used it on pocket pc and it was very good and they also have GPS. All you have to do is at each course you play you go to each marker like the tee box, 200,150,100 and mark it then you are set and good to go. They also have a list of courses that you can download and if the gPS info is already there you are good to go. Very Cool.

21. FSUSem1noles macrumors 68000

FSUSem1noles

I would also love something like this, and I know there are a few things in the works, whether or not any of them will be for the iPhone is anyone's guess :confused:

Here's a website that explains a few of the concepts available or in the works..
    http://www.gps-practice-and-fun.com/golf-gps.html

22. R.Youden macrumors 68020

R.Youden

I don't want to throw a spanner into the works here but I don't think a GPS unit is allowed in competitive golf.

From the R&A rule 14-3:

I know a lot of professional golfers use GPS style devices in practice rounds to confirm yardage charts but it is a very gray area.

There is a new foot-note to 14-3 which suggests they maybe allowed in competition:

Don't you just love the rules of golf!

23. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Yeah but it'd be great for practice. Based on my swing and how far I am from the hole I can forewarn the people playing with me that I may be a while. ;)

24. R.Youden macrumors 68020

R.Youden

Very true, they would be great for practice!

The only problem would be that if such an application where made then a clear disclaimer would be needed. I know a company that made a golf score card which used a very crude method for calculating distances (it timed how long it too you to walk 100 yards and then used that value to calibrate how long you where walking for, so so many reasons why that was a crap method!) and they got people demanding money back because some clubs banned them from using the device in competitions and they where not warned.

Maybe just a basic score card device with all the possible scoring methods would be good.

Now here is an idea...

For major tournaments they could have a scorer with an iPhone / iPod touch with each group and a wifi connection sending scores back to a central hub which automates score boards. I guess they already use something like that though.

25. Galley macrumors 65816

Galley

Yeah, my money's on Intelligolf. :)