Anyone wants a thinner MacBook Air?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Retina MacBook, Jul 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Retina MacBook macrumors regular

Does anyone wants to loose of a few mm on the MacBook Air? Just wondering if you're satisfied with the computer's thinness.

If Apple DOES make the MacBook Air thinner, they could reclaim the title "World's Thinnest Notebook" again.

2. JSalig macrumors 6502

I think the form factor is just right. There is a such thing as too thin. Any thinner and I'd start to get worried about heat distribution, component failures, etc.

3. Jb07 macrumors 6502

I would like Apple to make the MBA slimmer if the parts allow it, not just to reclaim a lost title.

4. Snowshiro macrumors 6502

What's the current record holder?

5. macneubie macrumors regular

if apple decides to make even thinner airs, then i think they might resort to using something that is even stronger and lighter than aluminium, as the thinner it gets, the more flexing it becomes.

6. HotRodGuy macrumors regular

acer released one that's 15mm wide at it's wides spot

7. Barna Biro macrumors 6502a

Barna Biro

The Air is quite good the way it is. If the hardware will eventually allow it to get thinner, it will be also great... but as someone else already pointed out: if that time were to come, they need to start using something else than aluminium.

8. Pivs macrumors member

They can already cut fruit, so I'd say they are thin enough.

Attached Files:

9. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

If they do manage to squeeze any more space out of that thing (say a thinner screen allowing for a slightly thicker body, I would rather they use that extra room for stuff like better battery. Past a certain point, I feel there is just not much advantage to a laptop getting any thinner, considering the tradeoffs.

10. Jb07 macrumors 6502

The Samsung Series 9.

11. plucky duck macrumors 6502

I have both right now, and yes the Series 9 does look very sexy, but using it it does feel a tad too small and thin to comfortably hold and use. Especially in bed when it's lightweight body tends to not sit in one place and slides off easily.

The Air feels just right, being about half a lb heavier, has just the right amount of heft to it.

12. weckart macrumors 68040

13. dyn macrumors 68030

I want them to make the front end a little bit thicker like the MBP Retina. It makes for a much sturdier machine and it creates space for more/thicker battery cells which will make for a much longer batterylife. If they'd add a 3g modem that can use the current micro-sim than this would make the ultimate MBA for me. A proper roadwarrior.

14. bembol macrumors 65816

bembol

I think we are pushing, do you really need thinner? Lighter, sure go ahead.

It's like the NANO SIM CARDS they're using for the iPhone 5. We're going to need tweezers to handle them by the time iPhone 6 comes out.

My new 2012 13" is almost as thin as my Samsung Galaxy S3, so I'm happy with it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.