anyone watch Today on NBC this morning?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by huskerwr38, Jul 31, 2008.

1. huskerwr38 macrumors member

They had a product on there that made things waterproof. They had documents from 300 years ago that they were dunking in water, then I saw that they had an iphone on the table, so I assume they dunked that in water too. Anyways, I caught the tail end of it and they never mentioned the product. Anyone watch it?

2. freediverdude macrumors 6502a

Yea, I was watching a YouTube video showing something like that, probably the same thing. Can't find the video again, but it was some kind of waterproof film that they professionally install on devices and laptops and stuff, it showed people pouring liquid on laptops and a pda/phone still working underwater. Would be really cool for use in the pool, but they said it was expensive.

3. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5A347 Safari/525.20)

I saw that product on another show and it cost about $1,000 for laptop coverage. It may just be worth getting a new laptop instead.

4. WannaApple? macrumors 6502a

I saw the preview, but didnt see the video as the cable guy was there to fix my cable, but if you go to www.todayshow.com and scroll over in the video section, you can re-watch it. It's entitled Video: Waterproof your Gadgets. I cant link because its a pop-up.

5. javadh macrumors member

6. ivtecDOu macrumors 6502

ivtecDOu

7. atluten macrumors 6502

I think what you're all talking about is the Golden Shellback coating. I found an article on Engadget that has a video. Link

8. taran420 macrumors 6502a

9. brianld macrumors member

brianld

10. spazattack674 macrumors regular

I read about this on Engadget.

It seems like a great idea, and whenever they make this more publicly available, I will definitely consider it.

And, they're located fairly close to my area if I remember correctly :D.

11. SandersHokie macrumors 6502

so i could put it on my iphone or laptop and just throw them in the pool and they will work fine? that'd be sweet. i'd feel like Vinny Chace on Entourage with the phones in the pool

12. dbwie macrumors 6502

??

I haven't watched the video of this (yet). Forgive me for a dumb question, but does this waterproofing cover the ports? I mean, could you put an iPhone in a syncing cradle with this waterproofing applied?

EDIT: watched the video. The iPod Touch headphone port appeared to be working in the demo, so i guess that answered my question.

13. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

applied in a vacuum
    waterproofs outside AND INSIDE
    thats amazing
    my question is....will it also work like an invisibleshield for scratch protection?

just think how cool it would be to pull out your iPhone and dunk it in water
    then all my friends who laugh at how careful i have to be with my phone will be put in their place