Anyone who enabled tethering gotten a bill yet?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by eh270, Jul 6, 2009.

1. eh270 macrumors regular

I realize I'm not the only one, but I'm curious if anyone who overwrote their carrier file without jailbreaking after the 3.0 launch has gotten a bill yet, and whether or not this was in any way reflected in their bill... :confused:

2. WPB2 macrumors 6502a

WPB2

I would expect that AT&T wont increase your bill, but just terminate your service (if they could prove you tethered)

3. patrickdunn macrumors 6502a

patrickdunn

When/if they terminate your service, will they charge you for the subsidized portion of your iPhone? Or do you walk with a $199/$299 3GS to take to T-Mobile?

4. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

My guess would be that they wouldn't reward you for stealing data from them...but what do I know about common sense??

5. eh270 thread starter macrumors regular

Why would they terminate your service? As a business, seems to me it would be in their best interests to charge you an overage fee of some kind before simply terminating an account...

6. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

They might terminate your contract for breaking the agreement you signed, which I'm sure comes with a hefty fee.

7. eh270 thread starter macrumors regular

Not sure I agree with you that they'd be more interested in a one-time cancellation fee than an ongoing subscription.

Either way, I'm glad I resisted the temptation to override my carrier file, if for no other reason than having to be overly concerned with the answer to my own question. I am just curious if there has been any fallout yet. Sounds like the answer so far is 'no'.

8. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

I think AT&T would rather get rid of a customer that is breaking the rules and using a ton of data in order to keep up network speeds and keep their customers that do obey the rules.

9. danpass macrumors 68020

danpass

unlimited data contract = unlimited data usage

if they don't like then THEY need to change the terms by removing 'unlimited' and making '5GB' much more prominent in their terms

10. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

That has nothing to do with what the OP was asking. He's using tethering, which is not allowed by the TOS. So, AT&T can do whatever they want (charge for the data, terminate the contract, or do nothing).

11. danpass macrumors 68020

danpass

tethering is no different than using the built in browser. its merely an attempt to TRY and differentiate the same service in order to charge for it.

A couple of months agao (maybe 3) I JB'd my iphone to use PDANet and try it out, worked great. There was no change in the bill.

Then again, neither do I use the tether to download gigs of torrents either. Its just a secondary option if I want to get a laptop/desktop online and the land connection is down for whatever reason.

12. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

People have been tethering awhile now, via jailbreak. So I'm guessing since no ones had a problem with charges, you won't be charged. But IDK

13. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

There are other threads arguing this ad nauseum. The TOS does not allow the iPhone to be tethered. And it is different than using the built in browser, since you're now perhaps tethering a laptop. Anyway, there are other threads on this issue and obviously we've yet to see anyone get charged for tethering.

14. clydefamous macrumors newbie

But the OP was really talking about the recent Carrier file hack. I've used the carrier file hack once and my bill is the same. Speaking of my bill, its past due so i got to get on that :(

cj

15. alansaysstop macrumors regular

Since 3.0 betas and tethering hacks came out I've done it a few times just surfing the web, not downloading any huge files and I've managed tonstay off the radar. Even with tethering a few times my usage has been lower then my girlfriends who doesn't know what tethering is.

16. Kadman macrumors 65816

Kadman

The beauty of these fancy Intertubes is that you don't have to wait for a mailman to deliver the bill. You can actually check your accounts online to see "near real time" usage. Go look instead of being paranoid and creating the 1,000 thread asking the same damn question.

17. iHateMacs macrumors 6502a

iHateMacs

Why should they charge extra for tethering. What ever the limit you are allowed on the "unlimited" data plans you should be able to use however you want.

If for arguments sake a fair use policy allowed you to download 4mb per day to your iPhone, what is it to the carrier if you download the same amount to your PC? If you keep within the limits, you are not stealing.

18. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Munch_The_Scream.jpg

19. FearNo1 macrumors 6502a

It makes no sense that at+t would charge iphone users extra for tethering when other phones can do it for free...

20. samcraig macrumors P6

FAIL

Other phones on ATT must have a tethering plan at this time to legally tether.

21. WPB2 macrumors 6502a

WPB2

The reason I said at&t wouldn't charge you extra for tethering is because they don't have a price for tethering on the iPhone. How much would they know to charge you. In the TOS agreement it specifically says TERMINATION for breaking the TOS.

22. samcraig macrumors P6

ATT has a per kb rate that they could use. Whether they would or not is entirely a different matter.

23. WPB2 macrumors 6502a

WPB2

Copied from AT&T's media Terms of service policy.

"Furthermore, plans(unless specifically designated for tethering usage) cannot be used for any applications that tether the device (through use of, including without limitation, connection kits, other phone/PDA-to computer accessories, Bluetooth® or any other wireless technology) to Personal Computers (including without limitation, laptops), or other equipment for any purpose. Accordingly, AT&T reserves the right to (i) deny, disconnect, modify and/or terminate Service, without notice, to anyone it believes is using the Service in any manner prohibited or whose usage adversely impacts its wireless network or service levels or hinders access to its wireless network, including without limitation, after a significant period of inactivity or after sessions of excessive usage and (ii) otherwise protect its wireless network from harm, compromised capacity or degradation in performance, which may impact legitimate data flows."