anyone who has had knee surgery

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by letsgorangers, May 6, 2007.

1. letsgorangers macrumors 6502

i guess this only really applies if you had surgery due to a constant problem, rather than an injury.

anyway i got my knee scoped back in november -- they removed some broken cartilage and did a lateral renticular release (for chondromalacia i believe).

anyway, from the time it healed (around 2-3 months) until now (6 months post-op), it's been great. the occasional scar soreness and aches with weather changes. nothing i consider too major. but now it has started popping and catching, as well as giving way, and hurting during long drives and stuff like it used to. now it can't be chondromalacia because they already released the knee cap. i do plan to contact my ortho if it continues, but i am curious as to if this is normal.

has anyone else had a similar experience?

2. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

My grandmother had it a few years back, he had trouble moving right after it was done(which I'm imagine is common), but after she "recovered" she was much better then it was before.

Well worth it IMO

3. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

I didn't have exactly the same surgery, but had the same recovery problems with my left knee. Had my kneecap reset in the middle and all the tendons cut on the left side as they were overdeveloped and there was a lot of grinding and rubbing going on (I forget the technical terms for it all).

I blew it out once on the way back, then finally got playing basketball again and it was fine for about a year, then got about five times worse than it was before. Put paid to any ambition I had to play beyond the age of about 17 unfortunately, and still hurts today if I run too much or too heavily. I have to do non-impact exercise most of the time.

Knee's are some of the most under pressure joints in the whole body and also one of the flimsiest so if they start going wrong you've gotta get a good surgeon and be lucky.

4. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

I had arthroscopy on a torn meniscus about 5 years ago. Did your post treatment involve therapy (i.e leg lifts) to develop/strengthen the quadriceps? That's very important for stabilization.

5. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

My dad has had knee problems for years. Had an operation a while ago, and they've become more serious ops now. Apparently the next step for him is to get a whole replacement knee or something, these operations don't seem to be great in the long term. After his ~3 month recovery time things started going down hill.

6. letsgorangers thread starter macrumors 6502

re: quad strengthening, i did a lot of it -- i did 6 weeks of physical therapy.

after i got past the rehab stuff i was very very glad i had the surgery done -- elated by sitting and standing and going up stairs without pain. but now i am a bit frustrated and confused as to why it would randomly start up again.

i should also mention that i am young. 23 currently, 22 during surgery and recovery. i healed pretty fast (according to others -- it felt like forever for me).

i haven't done anything strange to it lately as last week was finals week so i spent most of my time in front of my laptop. as well, my phys. therapist told me that the only way i could really "screw up" the surgery was if i fell onto my knee.

7. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

My friend got into a rugby injury, had surgery 6 months ago, and found out last week that he will never be able to play impact sports again. :eek:

Funny thing is that he may still need surgery. He doesn't see the point anymore, but hopefully he'll cheer up.