Anyone who hasn't done a clean install, are your computers running ok???

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by fel10, Jan 24, 2012.

1. fel10 macrumors 68000

fel10

I was just wondering if anyone who didn't do a clean install, and just upgraded from SL to Lion, is your mac running fine???

2. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

Mine did when I upgraded Lion over SL. Used it for 5 months without a major issue. Actually, I've never had an issue with this as far back as Leopard.

Back to SL now though because of all the silly-assed crap in Lion.

3. Buduls macrumors newbie

It is running fine except for long startup time (over 2 mins.. but I usually just put it to sleep so that does not bother me). Also I had to upgrade my ram to 8GB, 4GB was not enough anymore :/

late 2009 mbpro 15'

4. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

Haven't noticed any problems. I never clean installed OS X in my life, always upgraded whatever Apple put on there when I bought the Mac in the first place.

5. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

My iMac was upgraded from SL, I've had just one issue and I don't think it's related to OSX....If I want to use FaceTime, I have to re-boot the iMac. No scripts or clearing of cache will allow FT to connect. Re-boot, and it connects first time. Apart from that the upgrade hasn't given me any issues at all.

My MBA and my MBP are new, so came with Lion installed anyway.

6. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

Every Lion install I have is an upgrade. All are running fine on half a dozen Macs. When upgrading to Lion, I first used CCC to clone SL to an SSD drive so I got some of the benefits of a clean install. After cloning to a new HDD and booting from it (via USB) to prove it worked, I installed the drives and then used a Lion Install USB stick with a copy of Install OS X Lion.app I backed up before it deleted itself to do the upgrades.

7. robgendreau macrumors 68040

Remember that most people upgrade using Apple's method and only a small fraction wind up here with problems.

Go with the standard install: it's safe and faster. If it screws up for some reason and you absolutely have to reformat your drive and reinstall then do it.

And you'll also see lots of people here who screwed up their "clean" installs, often in misguided attempts to solve problems that weren't really problems, like "clutter."

Rob

8. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111