Anyone who ordered a 15'' 2.6GHz, will you be returning?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Starfyre, Oct 29, 2013.

1. Starfyre macrumors 68000

Starfyre

As battery life estimates appear to be below 8 hours for 15'' rMBP with 2.6'' processors while 2.3'' get 8-9+ hours and 2.0'' get 10+ hours... anyone planning to return and get a model without the 2.6?

2. Guy Mancuso macrumors 6502a

No offense but I think this battery life stuff is a load of crap. Really like to know how many people are away from electricity for over 8 hours in a day. Sure a flight across the world. I get that one but really everyday use.

To me that is the least important factor. Not saying its not important but I base my computer on performance than battery life.

Flame suit on but I just had to say it and if your buying a 15 inch laptop its the least likely device to travel with given there are many Apple products that are much more travel worthy and battery efficient. I travel a lot myself across the US and the most I am ever without power would be 6 hours.

I'm buying a 2.6 loaded because its the best performance laptop Apple sells. If I could buy a 3.0 one I would. LOL

3. Alexjones, Oct 29, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2013

Alexjones macrumors 6502

Leo Laporte, The tech guy advises the best thing for the battery is to leave your machine plugged in whenever near an outlet and keep it fully charged at all times. When you drain the battery, Even half way, counts as one cycle. When the unit is plugged in and the battery is fully charged, The battery shuts off and the AC power takes over

4. johnnylarue macrumors 6502a

I should hope most people who've bought the 2.6GHz machine will at least try it out for themselves and trust their own experience, rather than accepting as gospel the handful (and that's really all it is, a handful) of reports suggesting that the battery life on this model is compromised.

Moreover, I think the majority of Haswell purchasers will be coming from 3+ year old machines, meaning that they are likely to see a significant improvement in battery life from what they are used to, no matter which model they choose.

5. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

No offense but I think that anyone who trivializes battery life doesn't understand what "portable" really means. And no... I'm not going to list all the environments where a power outlet is either inconvenient or doesn't exist. (Use your imagination).

You might have all the subjective reasoning based on your own experiences and that's fine but I have Apple's engineering and marketing focus on my side. (i.e., they agree with me).

Then you're using the wrong brand of laptop. :)

6. patrick001 macrumors member

patrick001

No. He's using a desktop replacement.

7. Benk3350, Oct 29, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2013

Benk3350 macrumors member

I ordered the 2.6 CPU and no way am I returning it.

I always have my MBP plugged in so battery life isn't even an issue for me. In the past 5 years of owning my previous MBP, I don't think I've gone for more than an hour without the charger. So it could have a 3 hour battery and I still wouldn't utilize it.

For the quad core CPU, the 2.6 is a huge increase in power over the 2.3 CPU. I know heat is an issue, and obviously being cooler is preferable, but the CPU upgrade is worth it.

My new maxed out 15" rMBP is a beast and there's no way I'd return it.

Not true at all. The 15" rMBP is advertised as a desktop replacement, portability is a big feature but it does not define the laptop. You're thinking of the Macbook air :)

8. sholzer macrumors regular

Most of my friends that leave their computer plugged in all the time have had their battery go bad before mine. I make sure to never leave it plugged in more than needed and my battery still holds a 5-6 hour charge (was less before on mountain lion) and it has 1300 cycles on it.

[​IMG]

9. johnnylarue macrumors 6502a

Does an 8% increase in power for the CPU really qualify as "huge" though--I mean, all other factors (GPU, SSD, etc.) being equal?

10. Guy Mancuso macrumors 6502a

As most of us are. Sure its a replacement but Im on the road a lot as well. The difference between a hour after 8 hours was more my point. I would never give up performance to gain the 9th hour of battery. I like battery life as much as the next person but the threads obsessing over it are really silly to return a 2.6 to get much less performance and save a extra hour on a 2.0 machine. Im after horsepower more than anything. They do sell iPads with 10 hour battery life that I depend on for web and movies and such and much easier to lug around. Buying a 15 inch laptop is not the ideal travel companion and if power is primary than why buy the highest performance unit than return it.

Obviously you can argue this one all day long but thinking of your NEEDS first is primary on buying anything. If battery life is key than obviously a performance model is not the answer.

11. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

By who, Apple? What utter nonsense. If so then why do they keep getting thinner and lighter... because desks are getting weaker?

Somebody needs to tell Apple their iMacs are not needed anymore. :eek:

12. lKeithStone macrumors member

Heck NO! I just received my 15"/2.6/16/512 today and I'm at 70% with 6:52 minutes remaining. More than enough for me! :D:apple:

13. Domdog31 macrumors regular

fully agree here - only charge when its needed and served me well.

14. Benk3350 macrumors member

Just because they can make them lighter doesn't mean they aren't desktop replacements. I've read 3 reviews today by reputable sites such as CNET that say they are top of the line desktop replacements.

The 15" is thinner and lighter but it is still not super portable, it's pretty big. Try bringing it on a plane and it won't feel as portable.

15. Rizzm macrumors 6502a

The base model (iGPU) is built around energy efficiency/battery life, with the high-end (dGPU) being made for graphics intensity. The high-end MBP lends itself to worse battery life. That extra power doesn't just magically appear with no costs.

You should've done more research, or waited for impressions and reviews before making a purchase/impulse buy.

16. simon48 macrumors 65816

simon48

What were you doing when it said 6:52?

----------

The top 15" has the same iGPU as the low 15" so they should get the same battery life when both on their iGPUs.

17. Rizzm macrumors 6502a

I don't know what he's been doing with his MBP, but I'd assume with considerably less battery life that the GPU is being utilized.

18. leman macrumors 604

I often don't plug in the laptop even if there is an outlet, simply because of convenience. When at home, I would move it between kitchen/sofa/study all the time. The more battery time I have the more convenient it is for me. Yes, I go through like two cycles per day. Who cares? I am still getting effectively half a day out of it and it will be good to go for the next year. And battery replacement is cheaper then an annual service on my motorcycle.

19. simon48 macrumors 65816

simon48

What do you mean?

The top 15" should have the same battery life as the low 15". The top 15" just has an extra gear (which would obviously use more power), but they should be the same when doing something simple like browsing the web.

20. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Nope, very happy with my 2.6 / 16GB / 1TB
    And I travel a bunch

21. daudi81 macrumors regular

This doesn't make any sense. Why would going from 2.3 to 2.6 decrease it by THAT much? I've got the 2.3ghz and it's battery is great. Do you guys think there's something wrong with the estimator on those models? I keep seeing people posting their estimates, but is anyone ACTUALLY only getting 4-5 hours real world?

I'm not saying that you're wrong, but I just don't get the logic of why it would make battery life go down so much? Unless I'm missing something obvious? If that were the case, wouldn't the 2.0ghz baseline model get 12+ hours minimum?

22. simon48 macrumors 65816

simon48

Care to give us some battery life statistics?

23. Benk3350 macrumors member

Agreed. Also, that extra CPU power is only going to be used when you are doing something that requires that much power. Just like when you boot up a game, your GPU wakes up and you can hear the fans and your system gets hot, but when you are just browsing the web, the macbook is pretty much silent. Same with the CPU. If you aren't using that power, your battery isn't being wasted that way. Now there may be a little bit of more power to generally power the CPU, but .3ghz will be minimal.

24. simon48 macrumors 65816

simon48

I totally agree! We really need a bigger sample size so we can put this (hopefully a myth) to rest.

25. Starfyre thread starter macrumors 68000

Starfyre

300Mhz increase x 4 cores = 1.2Ghz