Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hotwire132002

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 24, 2004
Cadillac, MI
I do a lot of work with CCTV, the public access station here in Cadillac. We're in need of a theme for our newscast, and being a public access station we don't have any money for it (no advertising allowed on public access channels = no income for the station :(, even if our newscast is rated (based on local polls) higher than the local FOX affiliate. :D) . Of course, all the companies that specialize in news music charge thousands of dollars per year in license fees, so we're out of luck there.

Right now, our plan is to go with a royalty-free news theme (most likely the "Broadcast News" track included with GarageBand). However, my boss complains that that theme is too "grand" and "hard news-y" for our newscast, which focuses on personal interest stories and the "good news."

In any case, she suggested I look for a composer that might be willing to throw something together for us, be it a single track or a few variations on a theme. So, that's why I'm here... I figured someone around here with some musical talent might be able to throw together a news theme for us. Although I can't pay anything, I'd be more than happy to give a "thanks to..." message and a link to your website on the newscast.

We both liked the sounds of the following two packages:
Montage1.mp3
Montage2.mp3

Our favorite cut (if we go for a single track, rather than a few variations on the theme -- and I figure I'm lucky if I can get so much as a single track :rolleyes:) is the second cut in Montage 1. A sound similar to that would be great, but like I said, we'll take what we can get.

If anyone might be willing to help me out, please post here, PM me, or email me at eric@freelancerproductions.com. Thanks in advance to anyone with any interest in helping out!

thedude110

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2005
hotwire132002 said:
We both liked the sounds of the following two packages:
Montage1.mp3
Montage2.mp3

I wonder why news themes are so decidedly heraldic.

And that second one really features some serious triangle.

I tried to write something in Garage Band and then realized I had no idea how to write music. I really was trying, though.

I wonder if you want something a little more off-kilter for your program? As public access tends to be off kilter (in a positive way). I agree with your boss that those particular songs may make you sound more ambitious than you intend to be.

hotwire132002

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 24, 2004
Cadillac, MI
thedude110 said:
I wonder why news themes are so decidedly heraldic.

And that second one really features some serious triangle.

I tried to write something in Garage Band and then realized I had no idea how to write music. I really was trying, though.

I wonder if you want something a little more off-kilter for your program? As public access tends to be off kilter (in a positive way). I agree with your boss that those particular songs may make you sound more ambitious than you intend to be.

Heh heh -- I tried GarageBand, too, with no luck -- I'm not much of a composer either. :eek: -- Thanks for trying, though! :)

The second cut of the first montage actually works really well for us -- we were able to use it for a while thanks to some previous integration with the high school (they gave us an academic license) but that license is just about to end and it's not going to end up being renewed... which is why we're looking for new music, obviously. In any case -- it seemed to fit pretty well when we were able to use it --here's a clip of an open I cut that used that theme.

Our current plan (assuming we don't find a composer to help us out) is to use this track as our new theme. The problem is, obviously, that that one sounds even more majestic and "big news" than the other two. That's the track my boss really didn't like -- though she agreed that, for the lack of budget, it's probably the best we can do. Depends on whether we can get a composer ;)

hotwire132002

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 24, 2004
Cadillac, MI
Joking and OT discussion aside...

I know I've only given this a day or so, but no interest from composers yet... which is fair enough. I know I'm asking a lot, but it would be nice if I could find someone who might be able to come up twith something in the next couple days. That's probably an unrealistic hope, but in any case...

Any chance anyone might know of any good "music composition" forums or something to that extent? As great of a community as MR is... it is a Mac community, not a music community. I figure I might have better luck at a forum focusing on music. So, any suggestions as to that issue are welcome, and of course, on the off chance someone here might be able to help out, that's welcome too. ;) :D

scottlinux

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2005
Asking for this on a macrumors forum is almost like asking in the design/graphics forum for a company logo. 'Sumbit your logo' is kind of an odd request on that forum. As is 'send me your composition.'

People make music for a living, and it is a big business with contracts, unions, copyright laws, etc. It's a big deal. There are agents who can help you find composers and such that would work for you. It is not something taken lightly by composers, because this is their work and their living. And most composers that I know would not want their copyrighted material posted on a macrumors forum; a formal contract would probably not allow that.

There are groups like BMI and ASCAP which are pretty much collection agencies. So every time a composer's music is publically played, they are paid royalties. That's why a contract is needed, in part. To settle all legal and financial aspects.

There are many companies who have people who write music for all sorts of things, such as this one:

http://www.soundimagineering.co.uk/

scottlinux

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2005
Sorry didn't mean to sound so harsh. Try contacting a local university to see if composition students nearby could help you.

hotwire132002

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 24, 2004
Cadillac, MI
scottlinux said:
Sorry didn't mean to sound so harsh. Try contacting a local university to see if composition students nearby could help you.

Not a problem -- I'll get in touch with a couple of nearby universities. That's a good idea -- I'll see if any students might be able to help us out. :)

elvirav

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2006
California, off and on.
Contacting the local university sounds like a good plan indeed. The student might actually benefit from your mentioning them, because perhaps they'll get other local business. Here, though, not so much.

It sounds harsh to say it (and I'm not singling you out, since you seem pretty laid back), but the old "We can't pay you but we'll give you a link/publicity/credit" line is sooooo very old. Every artist/designer/composer/musician has heard it a million times. Sometimes the credit or publicity is worth something to the creative person, but often it's worth nothing, so they're prefer not to bother.

hotwire132002

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 24, 2004
Cadillac, MI
elvirav said:
Contacting the local university sounds like a good plan indeed. The student might actually benefit from your mentioning them, because perhaps they'll get other local business. Here, though, not so much.

It sounds harsh to say it (and I'm not singling you out, since you seem pretty laid back), but the old "We can't pay you but we'll give you a link/publicity/credit" line is sooooo very old. Every artist/designer/composer/musician has heard it a million times. Sometimes the credit or publicity is worth something to the creative person, but often it's worth nothing, so they're prefer not to bother.

You make some very good points.

I got lucky, though, and found a couple artists who were willing to work for credit. Between this post and one at iCompositions, I found three interested artists, and it sounds like we'll have a theme put together within a couple weeks. I owe a huge thanks to those who are helping us out! :)

wmmk

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2006
The Library.
I'd like to help! Will this happen to be on the air before July 15? I just happen to be passing through Cadillac, and would love to see my music on TV! PM me to work out details on what you want the piece to be like.

EDIT: didn't see your last post. nevermind, but glad you found help:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.