Anyone willing to help an old man move to an iPhone 4S?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by DaveFP56, Oct 21, 2011.

1. DaveFP56 macrumors newbie

I have googled this topic ad neuseum and found 101 different approachs.

I am sure there are multiple threads on this forum. Is any one particularly good?

I have a 6 year old Treo 650 that I sink with a pc running XP. It utilizes Palm desktop 6.2.

I also have a MBP running OSX 10.6.8. I don't use it for my contacts but I could intall Palm Desktop 4.2 to it if that helps.

All I care about is my contacts; not calender or memos. I have my contacts in 10 different catagories on the Palm.

Any and all suggestions greatly appreciated as my Treo is giving signs that its days are numbered.

Thank you!

2. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

Exporting them from the Palm desktop, then into another email like Gmail is probably going to be one of the easiest ways, since I don't think the cloud services play nice with XP.

3. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

Agreed. If you can get the Palm to export them into a CSV file you can import the whole deal into gmail. When you get your iPhone just log in with the gmail account and select sync contacts. That will get all your contacts onto the phone. Then you can continue to sync them with gmail or move them to iCloud.

edit
    A quick google search says the Palm software does export to CSV, it should be under the file menu.

Once you set up a gmail account:
    Click on contacts
    Click on more
    Select import
    Select the file of your contacts
    Hit import

It should keep them in your groups.