Anyone wish iTunes had something like this?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by trifid, Feb 7, 2014.

1. trifid macrumors 65816

trifid

Anyone wish iTunes had something like this?

[​IMG]

I've always wanted to have any recently added albums frontmost. Usually the newly added album is the one that I wanna have handy to play. Wouldn't this be a common type of usage?

Surprisingly iTunes doesn't have a great interface for that kind of usage AFAIK. Sure one can do a smart playlist, but it wouldn't be the same.

Am I the only one desperately wanting something like the screenshot above?

2. phrehdd macrumors 68040

phrehdd

A smart playlist can do "date added." Would that work for you?

3. LV426 macrumors 6502a

Wouldn't do much for me.

What I'd really like to see is the iTunes store where you can filter on media type. For example, I very often use it to search for movies, and mostly music, books etc. are a distraction for me in the search results. And then, I'd like the ability to filter exclusively on HD content, as I generally do not purchase SD movies.

4. trifid, Feb 7, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2014

trifid thread starter macrumors 65816

trifid

As I hinted in the OP it wouldn't be the same. The problem is that a smart playlist isn't as good for 'presentation', it's good as a list where you can shuffle multiple albums, but not as good for picking and listening to one particular album.

To be specific, a smart playlist presents albums as "list view". In contrast, the album view that I posted on my screenshot is "icon view". This means that one can have a nice graphical overview that's album-centric as opposed to a metadata-centric list view.

The other significant difference is this: if you do shuffle on smart playlist, it'll shuffle all albums. However, if you do shuffle on the 'icon view' view it'll just shuffle the album chosen. This is a seemingly minor, but important difference in usability.

Another detail is that in list view only 1-3 albums may be visible at any time, whereas on 'icon view' several more albums are visible. Therefore 'browsing' an album for easy playback on a smart playlist would take more scrolling/searching than in icon view.

5. phrehdd macrumors 68040

phrehdd

I see your point and well stated. I find several areas where Apple seems to drop the ball on hardware and software. I'll chalk this one as a logical option that was omitted.