anyone with 4/4s not have the glass defect?

Shift Option K

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 26, 2013
A lot of 4/4s including mine has gap between glass front or back and metal frame. This is common and you can insert a slice of paper into the gap. However do any of you out there have a phone free of said defect?

Mrbobb

macrumors 601
Aug 27, 2012
First off just everybody here is on the 5x bandwagon, I dunno how many people still talking about the 4/s 2 years technology.

But OK I bite, if you are saying you can slide a piece of paper on the front and it comes out the back, then no, I do not have the defect.

yinz

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
A lot of 4/4s including mine has gap between glass front or back and metal frame. This is common and you can insert a slice of paper into the gap. However do any of you out there have a phone free of said defect?
Day 1 iPhone 4S. I have no idea what defect you are talking about. I just tried to slip a piece of paper through any possible space for gap. No gap found.

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
I'm on a 5 now, but when I had an iPhone 4, there were no gaps. Nor did my wife's iPhone 4

g4manimac

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2013
Arkansas
Yes I know what you are talking about but it's not so much of a defect as I have only seen it on iPhone 4/4s that have been taken apart and not properly put back together causing it to not seat right,to be fair I have seen some el cheapo replacement LCDs cause this also.

sammy-boy

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2013
Staffordshire, UK
No defect with mine, though the glass is up slightly in one corner but think that was caused by a drop from the previous owner as there's also a nearby dent in the metal chassis.

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
First off just everybody here is on the 5x bandwagon, I dunno how many people still talking about the 4/s 2 years technology.

But OK I bite, if you are saying you can slide a piece of paper on the front and it comes out the back, then no, I do not have the defect.
I still have a 4S and it works fine for me. It is fast enough, and I can see no defect with the glass.

Plenty of people still have pre-5 models. My upgrade isn't until Feb 2014, but I haven't decided if either of the 5 models are worth it for me.

Mrbobb

macrumors 601
Aug 27, 2012
Yes I know what you are talking about but it's not so much of a defect as I have only seen it on iPhone 4/4s that have been taken apart and not properly put back together causing it to not seat right,to be fair I have seen some el cheapo replacement LCDs cause this also.
That's one plausible explanation, he bought a used, user-refurb phone!

Or maybe he sat on the thing in tight jeans rear pockets, not enough to break it but enough to "bow" the frame.

I don't particularly babysit my phone, I don't even bother with a case, but I use common sense, no keys in the same pocket, no sitting on etc and am going like why are these people having all these problems?

Anywhoo is like 8-0 OP.

sviato

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2010
HR 9038 A
Mine didn't have any noticeable gap but the glue on the back glass started to wear off after a year and I could push the glass in and let go and it would make a suction sound of the air going in (didn't have to press hard either, just holding the phone and texting often did it)

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
I still have a 4S and it works fine for me. It is fast enough, and I can see no defect with the glass.

Plenty of people still have pre-5 models. My upgrade isn't until Feb 2014, but I haven't decided if either of the 5 models are worth it for me.
Yup, 4s here - skipped the whole 5 generation , will go to 6 immediately I guess

zmon

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2013
Louisiana
I didn't have a gap on my old 4S, but I had that issue where the camera's padding or whatever moved its way over to block the lens a bit.

Shift Option K

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 26, 2013
I'm not making up stuff, no downvote, there's proof!

Also, I'm on the "Skip 5x, go to 6x or 7x" bandwagon.

Jnesbitt82

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2013
Ohio
My wife and I have a early production 4S and a late production 4S and neither of them have the problem you described. I've had both of them apart as well and replaced the batteries and still no gap.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.