Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Racineur

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 11, 2013
Montréal, Québec
Hello, I've read many posts ont the subject of iPhones updated to iOS 9.3. But mostly they are 6 and 6s. Anyone out there have updated their iPhone 5s to 9.3. I've had mine for only 10 days, it came with iOS 9.2.1 and I love it. But to be honest, it's not the fastest phone in town. So since I cannot compare with any System for speed, I'd like to know if updating to 9.3 would make the little devil slower or a little little bit faster. Or a little little bit slower. Hope I'm not double-posting.
Thanks in advance.

golfnut1982

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2014
Chicago, IL
I'm out. Downgrading as we speak. For me iBooks was a mess. I'll wait till 9.3.1. No Biggie, 9.2.1 is pretty damn good on a 5s.

Aston441

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014
I have a 5s I keep as a spare, they I've just continued to update since iOS 7.02

9.3 works great. It's almost as smooth as my 6s+

Just update.

I expect iOS X will be a disaster. I would definitely hold off on that when it's released.

Reactions: v1p

Racineur

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 11, 2013
Montréal, Québec
Thanks to you all. I gave myself until Friday to make up my mind. No big deal but don't wanna have a ton of regrets. 2 out of 3 yeas, sounds cool. golfnut1982, why did you downgrade for? A bug with iBooks made you do it?

Hastings101

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2010
K
It's working very well for me, actually a little smoother than 9.2.1. 9.2.1 is pretty reliable though, so I wouldn't update until 9.3.1 or whatever if you're worried.

minato21

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2015
9.3 is much smoother on a 5s. I don't notice lag as much as I did on 9.2.1 and haven't had any issues so far.

Reactions: v1p

Subemx

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2016
Not at all. It messed up things actually and became slower. More than just a bit. My health app which I used daily since I got my 5S, shows the same for day, week, month, year, what bug is this?? I wonder if they really did beta testing before the release, but doubt it...

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Not at all. It messed up things actually and became slower. More than just a bit. My health app which I used daily since I got my 5S, shows the same for day, week, month, year, what bug is this?? I wonder if they really did beta testing before the release, but doubt it...
There were 7 betas.

Reactions: The Doctor11

Ashin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2010
iOS9.3 is smoother than any other iteration of iOS9... but that's not saying much, since all the versions before were so awful.

iOS8 still remains king on the iPhone 5S, but iOS9.3 isn't that bad - some of the new features are arguably worth it (Night Mode is one).

Reactions: g-7 and v1p

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
I have run all the betas (except beta 4) and the public release on my 5s. No issues with any of them. Phone is lag and stutter free for my purposes . I have zero hesitation in recommending an upgrade generally.

I qualify all of this by (a) what kind of setup you already have and what apps/games you use and (b) your tolerance for infinitesimally small performance issues, measurable only with tools in Xcode or other developer applications.

In the case of (a), if you're a heavy gamer or use processor intensive apps, then, yes, you may not see performance quite as good as on a 6 or 6s (and that should not really be a surprise, either). If you fall under (b), you're never going to satisfied with any version of iOS other than the apparently nirvana-like iOS 8.4.1, so you needn't upgrade in that case.:rolleyes:

miknos

Suspended
Mar 14, 2008
iOS 9 became stable from 9.2 an above. I see no reason to not update.

What I noticed:
9.3 removed the lag in spotlight.
Night Shift is nice.

mtx4

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2016
Not fast as iOs 8, but really better then 9.2, no more lags and smooth animations.
It's a good release for 5s, now feels faster and it's not a placebo effect.

Reactions: pacorob and v1p

LiveM

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2015
Anyone out there have updated their iPhone 5s to 9.3. I've had mine for only 10 days, it came with iOS 9.2.1 and I love it. But to be honest, it's not the fastest phone in town.

You are going to swap it for the SE, right?

journeyy

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2013
iOS9.3 is smoother than any other iteration of iOS9... but that's not saying much, since all the versions before were so awful.

iOS8 still remains king on the iPhone 5S, but iOS9.3 isn't that bad - some of the new features are arguably worth it (Night Mode is one).

Not fast as iOs 8, but really better then 9.2, no more lags and smooth animations.
It's a good release for 5s, now feels faster and it's not a placebo effect.
I don't get where this appreciation for iOS 8 comes from. 9.3 is working much better on my 5S than any iOS 8 version. Speed, RAM management, battery runtime, everything.

Reactions: Agit21

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
I'm actually very very pleased about iOS 9.3, performance wise.
It gave my wife's iPhone 5S and my son's iPad Air really "new life".

Reactions: Agit21

Racineur

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 11, 2013
Montréal, Québec
LiveM, absolutely not swapping for the SE. I'm fully happy with my 5s but it may be cause I'm not a Facebook, Twitter or any social media guy. I'm an enthusiastic photographer and I own pretty decent Reflex cameras so Iphonography is not much of a concern to me too. For now, I'm so happy with the syncing of my iMac, Air 2 and 5s, I don't ask for more. Never thought the integration as seen by Apple would go so far. Vive le 5s!

LiveM

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2015
What I'm saying is that you can get the SE and a $50 refund, since you only got the 5s ten days ago and can return it and the SE is cheaper but will be supported by Apple for about three years longer. And it is the fastest phone in town. It would be crazy not to.

Reactions: anthrojohn

Racineur

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 11, 2013
Montréal, Québec
Thanks LiveM but I go the 5s for free on a 2 years plan from my Provider. If I part from it, I have to pay a premium which is the full price divided by the number of days I used it which would be prohibitive. I'm in Canada so all that is Apple is 100-150$ more than the US price. Three weeks ago, the 16G 5s would sale on Apple.ca for 600+. I know it's a steal but everything Apple is a steal in this great country of mine. Free medicine care, almost free kindergarten, in Québec free pills with a franchise though. All the rest is very expensive. Now, I'm shopping for memory for my iMac: double the price you see on Amazon.com, Crucial or B&H. So I'm sticking with my tiny beautiful SE lookalike...

Stanick

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2014
Sofia, Bulgaria
5s here, 9.3. Installed without a problem, runs fast, sometimes animations are still choppy (compared to 8.4.1 which was the kindfor 5s). battery life improved compared to 8.4.1 for me with roughly 30%. Apps launch faster for me, also loading times are better. The only problem for me is the animations lag and some app crashes here and there... oh... and also the new passcode which is now 6 digits which sux.

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
5s here, 9.3. Installed without a problem, runs fast, sometimes animations are still choppy (compared to 8.4.1 which was the kindfor 5s). battery life improved compared to 8.4.1 for me with roughly 30%. Apps launch faster for me, also loading times are better. The only problem for me is the animations lag and some app crashes here and there... oh... and also the new passcode which is now 6 digits which sux.
You can change the passcode length in Settings.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.