Anyone with a 128GB Apple SSD in 2011 MBP???

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JR1993, Jun 10, 2011.

1. JR1993, Jun 10, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2011

JR1993 macrumors regular

Hi, If you have the 128GB SSD from Apple, would you be able to post your boot up time. I think boot up time is a good way to measure real world performance.

Oh and if someone can point out some benchmarks, that would help a lot.

Thanks

2. Neverbepeace macrumors 6502a

Neverbepeace

Hmmmm

Lol funny……I was going to post the same question. Actually, Is it even worth it to upgrade through apple to the 128 ssd? Or is it better to buy from newegg and install your self?

What is the best SSD to get by the way if purchasing outside of apple?

3. getz76 macrumors 6502a

getz76

It is actually a terrible benchmark; boot times will vary due to installed applications and start-up items.

4. JR1993 thread starter macrumors regular

Ohh yeah. Its just, im not someone who writes constantly so 'benchmarks' that might have a 20mb/s difference mean nothing, whereas if a MBP boots up in 10 seconds and another in 25, I can see there is a difference.

However, you are absolutely correct.

5. blevins321 macrumors 68030

Biggest factor I've found in boot time are attached devices. When just power, keyboard, and mouse are in my iMac 2009 with 128OWCSSD, boot time is approx 9 seconds. With a USB BR-reader, HP scanner, and flash drive in, increase that to 25 because of polling and motor restart times.

6. JR1993 thread starter macrumors regular

That is why I ask the question too.

By going with the apple SSD I will actually save £150. If I then want an external drive for say £50, I will have still saved £100, and I dont think my usage would notice it.

Also, with the apple ssd comes the warranty, no swapping out drives if anything goes wrong. Also no worry about TRIM working on drive or not, and no beachballs. It all just works.

7. punchwalk, Jun 11, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2011

punchwalk macrumors regular

I just installed a 128GB Crucial M4 SSD in my 15" 2.3/8GB setup. My boot time is ~9 seconds from pressing the power button to up-and-running.

That said, I agree with those posters who said that boot time isn't really a valuable metric in measuring real world performance.

Good move on going with the Apple SSD if you can save on it. I love the speed of my new Crucial, but I do get occasional 20-30 second beach balls (especially when working on my Win7 VM in Parallels) and Crucial has even temporarily removed MBP 2011 from their supported devices list for the M4 SSD (pending a firmware update). I also don't like having to use the TRIM Support Enabler hack to get TRIM support. But I blame Apple for this. The OS should be able to support TRIM for any drive that supports it. Windows 7 did this out-of-the-box a couple of years ago.

8. Tulipo macrumors member

It takes 14-15 seconds for my apple SSD 128 gig to boot. 2011 13 i5.

9. johnnyturbouk macrumors 68000

johnnyturbouk

on the yellow [oled] brick road to tech nirvana.
    my OWC sata-2 3gb/s boots up btwn 12-14secs

270mb/s read; 260mb/s write

10. Tydog07 macrumors 6502

Is the apple 128 SSD a good drive or are there noticeably better drives on the market? I do like the thought of it all just working.

11. jason221 macrumors 6502

There are faster drives on the market, but I don't know how much noticeably faster they will be in everyday usage since I don't own one. The Apple SSD is the one that will "just work," though, since you don't have to install anything and it's covered by Apple.

12. JR1993 thread starter macrumors regular

If prices are the same when I come to buy in August I am definately going with the SSD.

I do like to have high performance, and i'm not afraid of taking a risk by buying a Vertex 3 with a high failiure rate. However, to have an SSD that has 100% TRIM support, NO beachballs, and Applecare support if I have a problem, AND save £100/£150, too good to turn down.

If I was a professional video editor, it might be a different question, but im a maths student.