Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FragTek

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2006
Fredericksburg, VA
Mine is slated to ship out tomorrow. I've already had pic requests for it via PM here, I'll be sure to post up pictures as soon as it comes in. I will try and find a nice cam to take the pix with, as they would turn out rather shoddy if I used my cell phone. I think I have a Canon S80 hidden in my closet somewhere :p

Scarlet Fever

macrumors 68040
Jul 22, 2005
Bookshop!
im taking a pot guess at this, but i think it may look something like the MacBooks screen, but a lot bigger :rolleyes: :p

If you work in an office with lights all along the roof, a glossy probably isn't for you. I find the glossy is excellent in any other conditions. it even makes the matte MacBook Pros look dim!

echeck

macrumors 68000
Apr 20, 2004
Boise, Idaho
A coworker of mine got his new MacBook last Friday (another of my conversion stories ;) ) and I got to play with it for the first time today.

I must say, I was VERY impressed with the "glossy" screen. I was definitely skeptical at first, thinking it was nothing more than a VAIO screen and I can't stand those. But, after opening it up and viewing it at multiple angles with various colors (including black) up on the background, I was pleasantly surprised.

Being as though we were at work, the lighting conditions were those of any other typical office building, flourescent lights, etc... The screen held up very well in these conditions.

Apple did it right, the screen looks great, much better when compared side-by-side than my 12" iBook.

yah00z

macrumors regular
May 21, 2006
So are you telling me if you had the chance to get the glossy screen on you're MBP you would do it? I am getting my MBP reaplaced and was considering getting the glossy screen option this time. Someone give me some input

kildraik

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2006
I agree with evilgEEk. The glossy screens are definately an option you would want. After seeing it in person also, the MacBook Pro actually looks different to say the least, and for the better. The quality of the images on the screen is far more nice than the matte screen.:D

FragTek

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2006
Fredericksburg, VA
Apple just charged $15 to my credit card this morning, the same amount as the expedited shipping fee that I selected... Looks like it may be shipping out today :D w00t w00t.

I'll post up pix as soon as she comes.

10-Dee-Q

macrumors 6502a
just buy the normal matte screen and buy this screen potector from japan, i forgot the brand, i'll post once i remember it.

i did that in my 15'4" MBP,
and the result is amazing, the colour is just like those glossy screen, but even though the screen protector is glossy, but the reflection is very minimal, and the reflecton is somehow purplish rather that normal mirror like reflection on glossy notebook screen.
anyway it's very very good!
but it;s a little bit expensive though
i bought mine for about US$70 !!!
but i;ll never regret it :p

and the best part is when u decided to not like the glossy, just take it out and you r back to mate screen :p

Pressure

macrumors 603
May 30, 2006
Denmark
Got a glossy MacBook Pro 15,4" here but took a picture with my 2Mpixel phone camera, which really doesn't do it justice.

MBPglossy.jpg

However the viewing angles are great and with a minimum of reflection :D

The MacBook Pro were running off the battery, so the screen was of course a bit darker than what it would have been, if it were plugged in.

FragTek

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2006
Fredericksburg, VA
w00tage, just got my apple shipment notification and fedex tracking number. I sure hope this beauty comes before the weekend.

How long is it usually taking fedex to get shipments to the states?

benthewraith

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
Fort Lauderdale, FL
FragTek said:
w00tage, just got my apple shipment notification and fedex tracking number. I sure hope this beauty comes before the weekend.

How long is it usually taking fedex to get shipments to the states?

If it's already been shipped...then quite fast. I think I had a previous laptop arrive two days after it shipped. It will definitely arrive before the weekend, and if not, then there was an issue in shipping, which I've never had with FedEx but have had with UPS.

twalkabout

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2002
glossy vs matte

i also returned my 17" mbp due to some problems, and had been wondering about the glossy screens. i was like everybody else and very skeptical, so i dropped by the new 5th ave apple store to check them out (awesome glass cube and glass elevator, but humdrum interior).

i basically spent about 20 min with my brother going back and forth between a 13" macbook with a glossy screen and the 17" mbp with the matte screen (they didn't have any mbp's with glossy screens). we both concluded that the pictures, text, etc on the glossy screens were so much more vivid that it's worth the glare. obviously it will be a subjective decision for everybody, but i have to concur that before discounting the glossy screens, go check them out.

a good way to compare is to open up iphoto because they have some photos in there already. the 1st or 2nd picture is of an alligator with his head half out of the water. the picture looks so much better on the glossy screen, it really sells it. i also watched a couple movie trailers from the QT website and i checked out some websites -- all cooler on the glossy.

after i get my 17" with the glossy i'll try to post a review after a week's use so i can comment on eye strain, glare in different settings, etc.

conditionals

macrumors regular
May 5, 2005
Australia
Finally! Everybody was so quick to jump on the "ZOMG Glossy SUXORZ They REFLEXTORZ 10000 TIMES THE SUN" bandwagon without even seeing them. I have since day 1 (like... 14 days ago) stood firm in my belief that glossy screens are amazing, and all that "you can't use them with ANY light source" is utter crap.

kevin.rivers

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2005
conditionals said:
Finally! Everybody was so quick to jump on the "ZOMG Glossy SUXORZ They REFLEXTORZ 10000 TIMES THE SUN" bandwagon without even seeing them. I have since day 1 (like... 14 days ago) stood firm in my belief that glossy screens are amazing, and all that "you can't use them with ANY light source" is utter crap.

Are you in denial?

Yeah the glossy screen may look good, but the fact that it won't be very useful outside or in heavily lit areas or with a direct light source on it holds up. It may not be as bad as some made it out to be, but it is still true nonetheless.

Yes, I have seen them. They look good and they are shiny which obviously people like. However they do reflect light.

FragTek

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2006
Fredericksburg, VA
Ok so I was convinced by the admin of Overclock3D to do an in-depth photo & video review of the MacBook. This is pretty surprising considering OC3D is a PC hardware review / forum of which I am one of the reviewers and forum mods.

I'll post up a link to the review as soon as its done. part of the review will be solely based on screen glare. I'll set up different scenarios and snap some shots to see how bad the glare can actually get.

/me so excited... I wish I could meet it half-way and pick it up tomorrow :)

Nik73

macrumors regular
May 26, 2006
UK
I got a MacBook and was a little worried about the glossy screens. I really needn't have worried. I much prefer them to matte screens (I still have my 19" CRT monitor as I can't stand the matte TFT's). However, it is a very personal thing and I think a lot depends on the lighting situation in the room you'll be using it in. My advice would be try one out first, just to be sure.

Nate4747

macrumors regular
May 7, 2006
Missouri
conditionals said:
Good call. Mac users tend to freak out about change.

It really isn't that bad, in fact it is better. I have even used mine outside and as long as you don't face it directly toward the sun it is fine. So long as they continue to offer matte OR glossy to cater to everyone I think things will be fine.

blitzydog

macrumors member
Apr 23, 2006
I'm sorry, but I think the glossy screen is amazing. My MacBook looks superb. There really isn't as much reflection as you'd think, and when there is, it doesn't phaze me. Mmmm such a sexy screen.

jhipolito

macrumors member
May 16, 2005
blitzydog said:
I'm sorry, but I think the glossy screen is amazing. My MacBook looks superb. There really isn't as much reflection as you'd think, and when there is, it doesn't phaze me. Mmmm such a sexy screen.

I REALLY like it; saw it in the Apple Store.. I just couldnt' compromise the saturation effect when I design my web graphics :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.