anyone with a base line macbook pro run final cut?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by M-apple-T, May 27, 2008.

1. M-apple-T macrumors member

Final cut studio that is. If so how does it run?
    Ive been looking to get a macbook pro baseline.( Thats all I could afford for now) maybe a bump in ram later.

thanks

2. aaron.lee2006 macrumors 65816

aaron.lee2006

3. M-apple-T thread starter macrumors member

are you sure? Im just wondering because people have told me " you need a mac pro if your going final cut studio"
    and a mac pro to a baseline macbook pro is pretty big of a difference.

4. aaron.lee2006 macrumors 65816

aaron.lee2006

Yes I'm positive, I run it just fine. "People", probably don't know what they're talking about and haven't tested it. No offense to these "people".

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

My old Pentium M can run Premiere Pro; I don't see why the Core 2 Duo MBP should have any issues and it doesn't.

6. ruskiwi macrumors member

I have a MBP and Final Cut runs well. Two points to keep in mind: do get a good amount of RAM now, and if you're doing lots of video, make sure you have heaps of HD space even if it means getting a dedicated external HD just for the video.

7. bagelche macrumors 6502

bagelche

I have a 2.2 C2D. FCP runs fine. I did up the ram to 4G. It's always good advice to use a separate external drive to store your media files.

This is a solid machine for FCP. don't heed the doubters. I often choose my laptop over the dual 1.8Ghz G5 at work.

8. M-apple-T thread starter macrumors member

9. bagelche macrumors 6502

bagelche

Another thing. There is no doubt that a MacPro is a significantly faster machine for running FCP than the MBP. Final Cut uses the CPU for rendering and a quad- or octocore is certainly going to be much faster than the dualcore in the laptop. Additionally, you have greater flexibility in terms of expansion and add-ons for the desktop tower. However, the processing guts of this are still significantly faster than the G5 towers of not-so-long ago.

As for saving money. Definitely buy ram aftermarket. Apple markups are ridiculous. Crucial is the general goto place for aftermarket ram. You may end up paying a few dollars more than other aftermarket names, but most folks here find that a reasonable balance (I went for a diff. name purchased from newegg.com and have had no problems). Also, I would encourage you to go for a refurbished machine from apple (unless you're doing a student discount deal). They are as-new with the same warranty, but saving you in the range of $300 or so.

10. cmcbridejr macrumors 6502a

cmcbridejr

Of course it will run just fine.

I used to run Final Cut Studio on a Powerbook G4 over 6 years ago with no hiccups, and I still use Final Cut Studio on my iMac G5 that is now almost 4 years old.

The current baseline MacBook Pro has about 2x the processor and 2x the video card of my old iMac G5 that I still use with Final Cut Studio, so I don't see where it would be a problem.

A Mac Pro will come in handy, due to processor differences, when wanting to decrease the time it takes to render effects or export the completed project using Compressor.

As far as just capturing and editing, you should not see much difference between a Mac Pro and a MacBook Pro.

11. cmcbridejr macrumors 6502a

cmcbridejr

I use an iMac G5 with 2 GB RAM for Final Cut Studio and it does the job just fine.

However, since my computer is getting almost 4 years old (and I really want to upgrade soon), have you noticed much difference between using 4GB RAM and using 2GB RAM?

When using pro applications, I usually quit all other applications. But, when I am not using pro applications, I have multiple "regular" applications running at the same time - iCal, Address Book, iTunes, Safari, Microsoft Office, Dashboard, etc - and don't really notice much lag either way.

Will someone share their experience (and not just some opinion) with the differences between using 2GB RAM versus 4GB RAM. I know what having more RAM does and don't really need an explanation for that, but is anyone able to share the real world benefits they have experienced or any factual statistics proving the advantage?

The reason why I ask is that I have 2GB RAM and rarely see the maximum reached (unless using pro audio applications with lots of virtual instruments). I only want to upgrade because the old G5 single core processor hits maximum all the time.

Is the purpose of more RAM just so you never have to close any applications (like I currently do when switching between "pro" and "regular" applications)?

Please let me know what you were doing to use up all 4GB RAM, not including using audio applications.

Thanks in advance.