Anyone with a logitech mouse (/LCC) successfully upgraded to snow leopard (pre-GM/GM)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by helix21, Aug 25, 2009.

1. helix21 macrumors regular

Snow leopard comes out in 3 days time now, this friday and from reading logitech forums has been made clear that LCC is not compatible with snow leopard because my favourite function, expose and spaces doesnt work. (probably because of changed APIs)

Logitech control center (LCC) allows mac users to customise programmable buttons using a preference pane

Now fair enough, snow leopard is a new release so i can understand the delay but i will expect one in a months time

The more pressing issue is this - APE/application enhancers.
    This created havoc with the leopard upgrade and although logitech say they have stopped using APEs since v 2.60, it still has the scroll enhancer.bundle which could possibly cause problems

Located at /Library/Application Support/Logitech/Logitech Control Center

So, has anyone had a successful upgrade from leopard to snow leopard (with the software installed), i dont want to risk the stability of my mac

2. wase4711 macrumors regular

logitech mouse and keyboard works fine in 32 BIT MODE..if you boot to 64 bit, the advanced functions do NOT WORK..

Been running the 10a432 release for about 10 days and that is what I have found..

3. helix21 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the input, what do you mean by 32bit/64 bit mode, i am confused

I like things to be simplistic lol :D, just insert the disk and choose upgrade install. Will it work then? I would obviously like to have 64 bit versions of safari, mail etc

4. Gman257 macrumors newbie

5. helix21 thread starter macrumors regular

brilliant news, did you upgrade leopard to snow leopard with it already installed without any problems? or did you install SL first then LCC?

6. wase4711 macrumors regular

I did an upgrade install and afterwords it just worked..

32 bit is how your computer will boot to; if you want to take advantage of SL's 64 bit architecture, you need to hold the 6+4 on your keyboard while booting, (at least in the version I am using)..When you boot that way, the advanced features of your mouse, like back, forward, etc will not work as of now..Hopefully, Logitech will release an upgraded driver pkg for 64 bit computing..But yes, if you just throw the SL disk in, install it, and reboot, your Logitech stuff should work just fine..

7. helix21 thread starter macrumors regular

Brilliant, thanks for the help. Another thing, could you tell me if the extra preference pane additions to system prefs work (like perian, growl etc..)

I plan on getting snow leopard on friday but will wait about 2 weeks to install it once everthing becomes clear, cant risk my thesis :D (even though i have a time machine backup)

8. wase4711 macrumors regular

Well some do; Growl seems to work for some apps but not others, and often you have to close and re-open a preference pane to get it to work.I am sure that a week or 2 after SL is out, programs like Growl, Istat, and Perian will have updates out to insure they work properly..

9. Gman257 macrumors newbie

I did a clean install of SL 10a432 & then installed LCC. At first LCC would not install so you have to open package contents & install from there. I am only using it for my Revolution mouse.

10. Busynow macrumors newbie

I installed LCC 3.0 on Snow leopard(Select "Show Package Contents" for the Logitech Control Center Installer. Navigate to Contents > Resources > Logitech Control Center.mpkg and open the installer.) found this in this forum.

Works great but i wanted to assign the left and right tilt in the scroll wheel to spaces and expose but it didnot work.

But i found a way to do it
    Just make the left and right tilt as mouse button 4 and 5
    [​IMG]

Then go to spaces and expose in system preferences and select that button 4 and 5 to start expose and spaces
    [​IMG]

11. helix21 thread starter macrumors regular

Brilliant! Thats a great way to do it, nice thinking. I will uninstall it when upgrading to leopard and then reinstall it and follow your procedure

PS: Where in kuwait did you get a mac? virgin charges extortionate prices and alghanim is useless

12. wase4711 macrumors regular

did you try booting to 64 bit and see if it worked that way?

thank you!

13. Busynow macrumors newbie

Yeah thats what i did uninstall it from Leopard then install it again on SL

I got mine from small store in Hawally(Anwarco) their prices are good and all their mac are imported from US ,
    and u can try this place Egg Head Tel: 22257913

14. Busynow macrumors newbie

Sorry but How to know if im running in 32 or 64 ? , and how to boot on 64 ?.

15. wase4711 macrumors regular

hold the 6 & 4 keys down while rebooting...then open System Profiler, and look under Software, and see if under "64 bit Kernel and Extensions" it says "Yes" or "No"

16. megamanbnmaster macrumors 6502

17. helix21 thread starter macrumors regular

Great, i personally dont care about the 32/64 bit kernel debate, i am not going to get anywhere near 16GB RAM soon, all i want is the applications to be 64 bit . Thanks for letting me know this works

Oh right, hawally. I used to live in kuwait and no one there ever heard of macs :eek: . Me and my mates one day dropped by virgin in marina and started drooling over the macs, until they realised they couldnt operate it lol because it didnt have the 'start' button lol :rolleyes:

UK is so much better with mac-ism :D

18. wase4711 macrumors regular

yes, Steermouse works in 32 bit mode, NOT 64 bit

19. helix21 thread starter macrumors regular

20. dandaman2 macrumors regular

hey guys... I just installed snow leopard and booted up normal-style, which according to system profiler and my mouse is working plug-and-play -- i. e. not using the lcc -- and system profiler says 64 bit kernel extensions are not installed. I don't use the mouse with expose or dashboard, I use a number of scripts for play/pause, fastforward and rewind on my extra buttons. It's not even detecting my receiver. the LCC 3.0 installer says I'm not running the right software. Help!

*Edit: Fixed it -- I figured out the "check resources for mpkg trick"

21. sf35 macrumors newbie

I just installed SL and I use an MX Revolution, all features worked other than expose and spaces on the mouse, tried on 32 and 64bit.

Helix21s' solutions seems to have worked a charm, I just assigned my spaces features to a mouse key like he kindly attached screenshots of for us.

Cheers guys!