Anyone with a Seagate Momentus HDD (with G/Shock protection)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lionheartednyhc, May 15, 2010.

1. lionheartednyhc macrumors 65816

lionheartednyhc

I just got one and I am curious if the nose it is making is normal. It makes a funny noise (kind of like a click, but not exactly) whenever the drive spins up, and sometimes when it is being accessed.

Thanks

2. dsprimal macrumors 6502a

dsprimal

well i have the 500gb 7200rpm hdd that comes with the 15" mbp core i7....i believe it's the momentus and if that's the case, mine also makes the clicking noise at times. not often, but i've heard it before. i've also read numerous posts across this site from people saying that they hear a clicking noise as well with the 7200rpm hdd. so i believe it's normal!

:D:apple:

3. BroodRooster macrumors member

I have a Momentus in my MBP 2010, and i noticed that the drive is quite loud, louder than my fans. Disturbing

4. lionheartednyhc thread starter macrumors 65816

lionheartednyhc

Im guessing both of you have the stock one (which would not have the shock protection, which is what I thought caused it) which is even more troubling. hmm..

time to send it back.

5. BroodRooster macrumors member

Im not talking bout clicks and stuff, but the spinning noise, its louder then other drives ive owned

6. Glideslope macrumors 601

Glideslope

No clicks, clacks, noise, or vibration on my Seagate 7200 i7. Runs very quiet, cool, and has minimal vibration IMO.:apple:

7. lionheartednyhc thread starter macrumors 65816

lionheartednyhc

Just swapped it out for a WD Scorpio blue and sent the Momenti back. SO much more quiet.