Anyone with a Wacom tablet...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AppleGoat, Nov 7, 2014.

1. AppleGoat macrumors 6502a

I have an early-2011 13" MacBook Pro (2.3ghz i5) and a Wacom Intuous Pen & Touch. I notice when I sketch really quickly in Photoshop CS6 the CPU starts to scorch, up to 95 degrees Celsius. Then, the fan kicks in. When this happens it disrupts my workflow as I become concerned I'm causing undue stress to my processor. Does anyone else with a similar machine or one of an older vintage experience this? Would the base quad-core 15" MacBook w/ Iris Pro handle this task without breaking a sweat?

Thanks!

2. priitv8 macrumors 68030

I have the intuos pen. And I notice as well, that sketching does raise the CPU load and fan speed. But I assume I do not draw that quickly so that it would hit full speed. Or maybe it's because I've capped my CPU with Disable Turbo Boost app.
    But I can confirm, that this drawing does load CPU.

3. fcortese macrumors demi-god

fcortese

Have you downloaded the latest driver? There was one released yesterday that is good for OSX 10.8 to 10.10

4. AppleGoat thread starter macrumors 6502a

What computer do you have?

----------

Thanks, I will download that later. That may be the antidote. Have you noticed your processor heating up on your 15"?

5. campyguy macrumors 68040

It was released, yes, but it's still not "good"... I'm not picking on you, just to be clear...

More functions work, some still don't. Wacom released a driver last week, this new one is a bit closer to working correctly. Touch functions are still not working properly - zoom, rotate are two clear examples - and some custom presets aren't loading properly.

I've noticed that the functions that are working correctly aren't taxing the Macs we're using them with. But, the functions that aren't working - such as pinch to zoom or rotate are getting the Macs revved up. Wacom needs to stop fscking around with its buggy Desktop Center SW and get the drivers working correctly in both the Windows and OS X environments.

Intuos 4/5 Touch/Pro versions on OS X 10.10 and Win 7/8.1.

6. Harry Muff macrumors regular

I use iStat 5 and, when things get a bit hot, I use the options in the Sensors menu to crank up the fans to medium or high to keep things under control.

Otherwise, the fans won't kick in until the thing is already steaming hot.

7. priitv8 macrumors 68030

Early '13 Retina:

Attached Files: