Anyone with an SE upgrading to an 8?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by puma1552, Sep 16, 2017.

1. puma1552 Suspended

I had a 6 before my SE and it was the best phone I ever had. Went to the SE a year ago and haven't regretted it, size is great even if screen color gamut is awful.

Thinking about that 8 though...anyone else? Would be a substantial upgrade over my SE.

2. dumastudetto macrumors 68040

You'll be getting a:
    Vastly better camera
    Much nicer screen
    Huge performance boost with new bionic processing technology
    Water and dust resistance
    3D Touch
    Bigger battery

Do it.

3. subjonas macrumors 68000

I WANT the waterproofing, better camera, 3D Touch, and qi charging--but I NEED easy one-handed use. So my SE and I march on.

This is my SE. There are many like it, but this one is mine...

4. minik macrumors 65816

I got the iPhone 6s Plus and thought I'll like it, I ended up regretting but kept using it until the the iPhone SE goes on sale. Now I have the iPhone 7 and will receive the iPhone 8 next Friday.

The iPhone 7/8 is still a great form factor and not too big. The Touch ID is much quicker compares to the SE, 1st gen vs 2nd gen. The iPhone 8 has a louder stereo speakers and more LTE bands as well.

5. Reno Raines macrumors 65816

I dropped my SE into my soda the other night by accident. I immediately turned it off and wedged it in my air vent in my car and put the air on full blast for an hour. Still works! Tough little thing and I guess somewhat waterproof.

6. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I think it would be a fairly decent upgrade over your iPhone SE. Even though the form factor is the primary reason why many want the iPhone SE, the iPhone 8 just offers so much more capabilities and a much higher resolution over the iPhone SE. If you were considering upgrading to the iPhone 8, obviously you are aware of the major differences between the two models. It's just a matter if you would like a larger form factor or not.

But if you decided to retain your iPhone SE, it is rumored a new iPhone SE is likely do somewhere in 2018.

7. troy14 macrumors 6502a

Going from a 6 to SE to an X.

Really hated the size of the 6 but hoping the new features/speed will make the phone likeable...

Really can't describe how much I love my SE

8. puma1552 thread starter Suspended

Given that my SE has such a crappy trade in value, I guess I don't see any reason why I couldn't just keep my SE, get an 8 with the Verizon device payment program (my SE is paid off), destroy the SE SIM when the new phone comes, and move the 8 SIM between the SE and the 8 whenever I feel like it?

9. AppleZombie macrumors 6502a

I'll be moving to an 8 from my 6 + but also have an SE that I just recently purchased. I love the SE, great fast phone. I am excited for the upgrade to the 8.

10. Trahearne macrumors 6502

6s+ to SE to 8. The 4-inch size is awesome (despite the worse Touch ID performance and color vibrancy), but needs changed and I have been reading and typing more stuff on the go. Still hate phablets though, so yep ordered 8.

I wanted to get X when it was announced. But despite being capable to pay for it, it feels like the price premium is a bit over the top for the value-added. So I will leave it to the future me.

11. facemeat macrumors member

Have an SE but have been itching to upgrade for a while now, I don’t mind the smaller size but the display is pretty terrible and barely visible outdoors.
    At first I ordered the iP8 plus but I have since changed to the regular silver 8. I’ve usually always opted for black, except when I had the 4S. The iP8 with the glass back in silver looks gorgeous, it reminds me of the 4 (probably my favorite model to date).
    Considered the X but I can’t motivate the price for simply a better smartphone camera and display.

Something else to consider is the vibration engine. The SEs vibration engine feels incredibly crude when you compare it to the 6S or later. My partner has the 7 and it’s night and day how much more refined and subtle the vibration motor is.

Edit: get the 8!

12. ctrlzone macrumors regular

ctrlzone

there is no upgrade available for the SE, unfortunately

13. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

The 4 might remain as the sexiest iPhone they've ever made.

My wife will be going from the 5C to the 8 (or 8Plus). Talk about a big jump. My SE is barely a year old, and it's still great for me; it's basically a 6S under the hood, remember.

14. Virinprew macrumors 6502a

Pretty much this but the bigger battery isn't a plus. If you look closely at the spec, the estimate usage time is longer on SE.