anyone with entry octad happy?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by subq, Mar 16, 2009.

1. subq macrumors member

so basically I am looking at $3350 to get into a new mac pro octad? ...that includes the md-to-dvi converter, I have two 24" dell monitors now

anyone grab the base octad and happy with it (or unhappy with it)?

I will upgrade the ram myself when needed...

I will be replacing my 3-4 year old windows workstation 2.8 core 2, I already have a new macbook but I like to upgrade my workstation every 3 years or so...

I still have a need for windows (and *nix) though so vmware and bootcamp just like I do now...

hoping the new macpro will run starcraft 2 when it comes out, I play very few games but I'm looking forward to that one

I was seriously considering a hackintosh because I think $3300 for what I'm getting seems a bit steep, however, I have to weigh in the "headache" and time factor since this will be a production machine, I don't have a lot of time to mess around with it and it has to be rock solid...and yes, my xp pro machine right now is rock solid, it's just getting a little dated and sluggish for many new apps I run

p.s. seems the new parrallels benchmark kind of puts the hurt on vmware :(

2. twig16 macrumors newbie

if you want rock solid, you want the 2008 model.
    The 2009 models are not there yet, they are weeks old and many peripherals don;t have official support yet.

3. subq thread starter macrumors member

hmm, you would hope they would be solid enough for production machines?

4. twig16 macrumors newbie

Early adopters will pay the price.

Here are some reported things not working:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=667617

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=667630&highlight=freezing

I am sure you could search Apples own forums for bug reports as well.
    http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=9147696&#9147696

Every component manufacturer for anything you use needs (or should) to provide updates device drivers, that is why hardware says "certified for the MAc Pro" or "certified for LEopard" or whatever. When a new model is released there is no firm time frame for these drivers...
    so when little bugs turn up, as they always do, you end up sitting drumming fingers waiting for XYZ company in China to produce and release new drivers for your toys.

If you want stable for real world work, get the 2008.

If you want to geekbench out your friends with $40k in shiny new hardware and compare CPU sizes, then go for the 2009 rev. 0 models.

5. subq thread starter macrumors member

I'm not scared of the 2008, but I wouldn't mind finding a decent deal on one :)

6. MadisonTate macrumors member

Well, here's one early adopter who plans to grab one as soon as the 3.2GHz version comes out. Can't waste my ADC discount on just anything.

7. subq thread starter macrumors member