Anyone with experience at iPhone launches in NYC?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nateharr, Oct 10, 2011.

1. nateharr macrumors 6502

So, I am originally from the South (Louisiana to be specific), and I have absolutely no experience buying an iPhone from an Apple Store. When I purchased my 3GS, I pre-ordered it from Apple.com. When I purchased my iPhone 4 (which was lost three months ago) I bought it from a Best Buy Mobile kiosk.

I now live in New Jersey and my friends and I have plans to go to the City on Friday. I could not pre-order my iPhone because the shipping address was forced to match the billing address for out AT&T account. Seeing as that address was in Louisiana, it would not have benefitted me to pre-order.

So, without further ado, I would like to know if anyone has any experience with buying an iPhone on launch day in NYC. My roommates suggest I could go to the Chelsea or SoHo store instead of the Cube to avoid riffraff.

Am I better suited going to a closer Apple Store in Jersey? If I arrive before the store opens, will I likely get a phone? (I'm after the 32GB White 4S.)

I've heard rumors that there may already be campers. I was thinking that if I caught an early train, I could maybe get to the store an hour or so before open. Will that be early enough? I understand there are several variables, but I would like to start an open discussion with people who have experience.

Thanks!

2. Dwhite78 macrumors regular

I got to my apple store for the iPhone 4 launch 3 hrs before they opened and didn't get a phone. Charlotte, NC is nowhere near as big as nyc. That may help with giving you an idea of how early you need to get there.

3. BlizzardBolt macrumors 6502

Be there at least 5 hours ahead,

Trust me, some campers are already there.

The train's variability according to schedule especially during rush hour, don't take a chance. Just get there several hours early to have a good chance for a good spot, earlier the better.

Choose the right store too, the 5th avenue store may be the most congested.

4. oester macrumors member

Was at the 5th ave store for the iphone for launch. Had 2 phones reserved. Arrived at about 5 AM, several hundred before me. A very enjoyable experience. They had lots of phones, lots of staff. If I was in NYC this week, I go by just for the show!

5. Pooshka macrumors 65816

Went to the Chelsea store for iPhone 4. Arrived at about 11PM. Was 50th in line. You have an idea.

This launch will be much crazier though, I'm pretty sure.

6. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

7. hellomms macrumors regular

I stayed in line for iPad2 on 5th ave store, all I have to say that will never ever do that again.

Better shot at carrier store.

8. saky macrumors newbie

Best buy is a good alternative

Last year when I got my iphone4 I just went to best buy (the one on 23 and 6) and made a pre-order, the day of the release I went to the stoand around 10:00 am and there were only 5 people ahead of me on the line. It only took 20 - 30 for the whole proccess.

9. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

I live in NY and last year I know someone who camped out for the iPhone 4 launch. They got there at 10PM the night before and there was already a line. He was early enough to get an iPhone at SoHo, but barely.

If you only plan on getting there that morning, I'd suggest a different Apple Store. The NYC ones get a lot of iPhones in on launch day (I think 5th avenue had close to 10,000 last year), but they sell out very quickly. Especially if you want a 16GB black iPhone 4S.

10. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Dont go to NYC. Go to the Rockaway or willowbrook mall apple store super early on Friday and you will be fine.

11. phearx macrumors regular

As someone whose gone to the apple store on launch day, there are a couple of things you should know. Expect a long line, with people usually lining up a few days before. If you want to stand a chance at getting one come at at least 5 pm the day before and camp out over night

OR

Just do what I did and tell the people guarding the front door of the apple store that you already have the iphone 4, and just want to look for cases. They should let you in without a problem (they let me in without a fuss) and go up to one of the reps and ask to buy a phone :cool:

12. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

That's what someone tried to do last year, but at my local store, they "quarantined" a part of the store for iPhone only.

13. nateharr thread starter macrumors 6502

Okay, so I could go to the local mall Apple Store. Seeing as the mall wouldn't open early...there couldn't be a line...right?

14. gillybean macrumors 6502a

There might be lots of people grouped at the mall's various entrances waiting to get in, and as soon as the mall doors open, they'll all run to the store.

15. wonderboynj macrumors member

Depending on where in NJ you are you could also go to the Apple Store at Short Hills Mall. But a good option would also be to research AT&T stores in your area and maybe try one of those.

16. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

I'd def stay far away from Manhattan. Staten Island might be a decent alterntative, otherwise Jersey.

17. ktmracer350 macrumors member

As someone else suggested go to the rockaway mall. I did last year and was first in line for Iphone 4. I got their at about 8 PM but am planning on 5 PM this year. Let me know if you would like to meetup for the launch.

EDIT-I know that last year the line at Short Hills mall was worse then Rockway but come Thursday around 5 the line was extremely long at Rockaway so I would suggest midnight around the latest so that you are very close to the front and don't have to wait too long. I'm also not sure of how many phones they had to sell but, aside from that those people in the back would have had to wait forever to get into the store. Being first last year and not having pre-ordered the phone it took me 1.5 hrs. to get into the store because, they sorted the people into two lines of pre-orders and non pre-orders and let some of the people who had pre-ordered the phone in first.

18. alent1234 macrumors 603

you can always try the apple store at short hills mall if it's closer

for the ipad 2 launch i found a target close to home and in a not so good neighborhood. the line was an hour long when i got there at 4:30 only because the cashiers were slow.

see if you can find a reseller in a non-hip/trendy/expensive area and you may have better luck