iPhone X Anyone with eye strain on X and no on S9?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by austyn23, Oct 8, 2018.

1. austyn23 macrumors regular

austyn23

Hi to all,

So I bought the X and returned it 24 hrs later because of eye-strain (don't bother telling me that you have yo get used to... never a smartphone made my eyes hurt, even for a second).

So I'm waiting for the XR but it's a little big and thick I think... the X was perfect in size.

I'm tempted to get an S9, is taller than the X but some way feels better on hands.

It´is OLED so I think uses PWM as well... anyone have / had one and feel eye strain or some kind of hurt?

Thanks a lot,

2. Vermifuge macrumors 68000

Vermifuge

it's the same technology. Heck, both screens are made by Samsung. Your experience is unlikely to differ from your last.

3. Mitsjke macrumors member

Just try it. It can also be software settings in terms of refreshing. Maybe Android has a different setting than iOS. And even if both displays are both from samsung. That doesn't mean they are the same. Like all Samsung TV displays are the same...

4. Vermifuge macrumors 68000

Vermifuge

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Samsung-Galaxy-S9-Smartphone-Review.293936.0.html

5. austyn23 thread starter macrumors regular

austyn23

Wow, thanks for the info... i'll stick to my 7 and wait to see the XR, but is too big... puff

Maybe next year

6. Vermifuge macrumors 68000

Vermifuge

You may have to wait until MicroLED is feasible in a Device the size of an Xs

7. tonybarnaby macrumors 65816

Ive had all the oled galaxy phones with no issues, yet my max was so bad i returned it. You may be ok.

8. austyn23 thread starter macrumors regular

austyn23

Wow... can´t believe

9. GrumpyMom macrumors 604

GrumpyMom

I have had and used the S9+ for several months on a regular basis and even read ebooks on it. Yet I could not tolerate my iPhone X past a month nor my Max past a week.

My Max didn’t seem to bother me at first but it somehow sensitized me after giving me one whopper of a goodbye migraine last weekend. It’s been a week and I still am sensitive to the pwm flicker of lights at the grocery and can’t use my S9+ display without discomfort.

I can’t explain it. I don’t have any clue what is different between the S9+ display or the S8+ I also own and the displays on the iPhones.

My iPhone X display had nice even color but I found it produced a bit of harsh glare. My Max display was beautiful. I loved it. I didn’t even feel eye strain on it for a couple of days reading and watching videos and using it normally. I thought I was free and clear like I had been on my Samsungs.

But one day the watery eyes and blurred vision started. Then the headache and a weird feeling in my head where I normally feel discomfort when I’m about to get a seizure type migraine. I didn’t get a seizure, but I did lose speech and struggled with aphasia for an hour or so while shopping at the grocery store under their lighting system that only bothers me after something else has triggered my migraine into activity.

When I look at text on any OLED display on a phone I see what I can only describe as a little vibration. When I look at text on an LCD display like the one on my 8 Plus the print looks still, completely unmoving.

Even though these OLED panels are all supposed to be refreshing at the same 240 Hz or whatever it is, the amount of vibration that I can perceive appears to ME, to be different. Text on my husband’s Max’s display for example looked pretty shaky like it had drunk an espresso. I could barely see the jitters on my S9+ or my own Max.

But after days of using my Max and getting sensitized, my S9+ display looks more jittery to me now.

Did the S9+ display refresh rate change? Of course not. Whatever the problem is, whatever the difference is that’s causing me to react to a familiar OLED display NOW, it’s within my own nervous system. Once I got my migraine condition triggered to produce a migraine, I became sensitive to other potential triggers that don’t always bother me.

I think, and this is just a theory, for me and my particular migraine condition, pwm is but a potential trigger. Something else, some other characteristic about the two iPhone OLED displays worked in tandem with pwm to set off my migraines.

Perhaps it was Face ID, though I did turn it off the last day, perhaps too late to make a difference. Perhaps it’s something about the unique calibration Apple supposedly insists on. I don’t know. Edit: Correction, I forgot that my Pixel 2 display also greatly bothers my eyes. I don’t get full on migraines but that’s because it’s too blurry for me to look at long enough! So Apple is off the hook on this one.

Eye strain is but one aspect to look at. It’s not just about the eyes. I think it’s about the brain and eyes working in tandem to create what we think of as vision. There theoretically, as far as what’s known, isn’t anything about OLED worse for the eyes themselves than LCD. The brain is another story.

10. infoghost macrumors member

infoghost

I had an older galaxy for a year (s5 maybe?? been awhile) and don't recall having a single issue with headaches or eyestrain.

11. ultravegeta1981 macrumors 6502

ultravegeta1981

The iphone Xr and samsung galaxy s9 are quiet even in terms of dimensions i reckon?

Edit;

• iPhone XR: 150.9 x 75.7 x 8.3mm
    • Galaxy S9: 147.7 x 68.7 x 8.5 mm

As you can see lenghtwise it quiet even. The Xr is wider as it doesnt use those stupid non practical edges. The thicknes is quiet even aswell.

12. Vermifuge macrumors 68000

Vermifuge

S5 used Super AMOLED. Not even the same tech. This thread is specifically about the OLED displays and how they refresh / adjust brightness

13. infoghost macrumors member

infoghost

Well that explains it then.

14. ross1998 macrumors 6502a

15. Deifie macrumors newbie

The AM in AMOLED stands for Active Matrix. All actual OLED Mobile Phones with an OLED Display use this. Therfore it´s the same tech as today, the brightness regulation is also done over PWM.

16. neil74 macrumors regular

neil74

There is another huge thread covering this and one question that has come up in that is whether Face ID could be a factor.

A lot of people dismiss it but if your eyes are getting blasted with IR many many times a day it could be a factor that differentiates the iPhone from the Samsung?

I historically have suffered from dry eyes and have not noticed any obvious symptoms such as headaches or watery eyes from using the max but have noticed that my eyes feel quite tired, that may not be the iPhone though.

17. rnbarg macrumors member

rnbarg

I returned the XS Max for the same reasons others have, the harshness off the display. I ran into someone w/an S9 last week. I was amazed how easy it was on the eyes. Stellar display. I had no issues with it. Having said that I’m not switching to Android and will keep using my 8 Plus for the foreseeable future.

18. dusty2seirra macrumors newbie

dusty2seirra

hello there i need to talk about it in little more detail

are you still facing this issue ? or its fine now? because i am having almost same issue like since i start using note 9