Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Populus

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Hello,

I had heard mixed opinions, mostly bad, about the first iterations of iPadOS 17 on the iPad 9th gen, the last iPad with a home button and headphone jack.

Currently, it is running iPadOS 16.6.1, as you can see in my signature. But I’ve thought that once iOS 17 becomes more polished, it could be a good time to update it.

Mind you, the person using this iPad 9 won’t probably need the few new features of iPadOS 17, it’s basically used as a media consumption device (movies, streaming video/music services, and games). Even the emulators being released now are supported on iPadOS 16.6.1

I wanted to see if the performance, the heat, and efficiency, has gotten better or worse with iPadOS 17.5.1, and if you think there’s a key new feature that it could entice me to update, aside from recovering deleted photos the security patches.

Depending on your feedback I’ll choose whether to a) install it, b) wait for iPadOS 17.6, or c) leave it indefinitely on iPadOS 16.6.1

Thank you.

AppleFeller

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2020
We have mainly 9th gen deployed across our org and none are having issues…17 sings on them without issue…

Reactions: Six0Four
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.