Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

buran-energia

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 9, 2017
edit2: see my second post
edit: I reset SMC, NVRAM, used Web recovery, erased disk, Web recovery installed Sierra, then install HS through Store, and so far no problems. Really weird.

Can anyone with mbp 2015 13 and High Sierra start watching the following video at full screen (no UI elements visible) and video quality set to "Source" and see if they have any issues?
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/243932818

Whenever I watch certain video streams on Twitch in full screen with Safari I get weird artifacts, and the laptop eventually freezes. Sort of like this:

It might take a couple of tries or around 30 seconds before video starts acting weird (flashing, gamma changes, artifacts).

No issues with youtube, 3D games, diagnostics, anywhere else (apart from maybe Premiere Pro crashing, but not sure if it's related). I'm just curious if others have this problem with the model and OS or if it is a bizarre hardware failure.

Last edited:

splifingate

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2013
ATL
Buffering took a minute or two (even with 75Mb/s cable), but after that, the video streamed nicely.

Nothing out of the ordinary noticed.

That dude's getting some good fps :)

Regards, splifingate

buran-energia

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 9, 2017
It seems the problem is with Safari extension "AdGuard AdBlocker". Once installed, I get those glitches. Once extension is removed and laptop rebooted - no glitches.

Can anyone with this model (mbp 13 early 2015 and High Sierra) test that Twitch TV video with Safari AdGuard AdBlocker extension installed? (Make sure there are no player UI elements visible at the bottom when you go to full screen and video quality is "source".)

A video showing how it starts glitching after installing the AdGuard, albeit it didn't freeze this time, just blinking and some artifacts:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.