Anyone with mlb.tv?

TSE

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
I'm confused about mlb.tv's blackout policies.

Since I live in Minnesota, and I go to college in Iowa, with an mlb.tv premium subscription, are the Minnesota Twins blacked out?

And in general, are people satisfied with the service?

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
If you are in a team's blackout territory, then you cannot get thier games on mlb.tv and must get them via your local cable/satellite provider. Unfortunately, it looks like all of Iowa is in Minnesota's blackout territory:

mlb.tv is really only good if you're a fan of a team way outside where you live or travel a lot. The blackout policy sucks and needs to be updated for the 21st century. It was put in place back when the internet was unheard of.

Moyank24

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2009
in a New York State of mind
I'm confused about mlb.tv's blackout policies.

Since I live in Minnesota, and I go to college in Iowa, with an mlb.tv premium subscription, are the Minnesota Twins blacked out?

And in general, are people satisfied with the service?
I'm not sure what the Twins blackout restrictions are - but if you go here (scroll to the bottom of the page) you'll be able to input your zip code at school to see if you'll be able to watch.

As far as the service, I've had it for years and I love it. The quality has always been really, really good for me (even on my phone and iPad). I love it - especially the ability to watch on my Mac, iPhone, iPad, and ATV2 - and also the ability to watch the home or away broadcast.

It's more than worth the $125 - as long as your Twins aren't blacked out of course.

----------

mlb.tv is really only good if you're a fan of a team way outside where you live or travel a lot. The blackout policy sucks and needs to be updated for the 21st century. It was put in place back when the internet was unheard of.
As soon as the cable networks find a way to make money from advertisers to broadcast online they will remain in place. It's about advertising $$ and nothing else. If you are in market, they want you watching it on TV - more ratings = more $$.

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
I think you can watch the local teams after the game is over from the archive. For me being in Japan I gave no blackouts and get to watch my Mets lose all summer long. For the price MLB TV is a great value if you are a big baseball fan and or follow teams outside of your home market or do not mind watching delayed games.

adk

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2005
Stuck in the middle with you
Are teams blacked out based on your billing address or the actual location of the IP address that is trying to watch the game? For example, if I'm from New York could I watch a mets game from my hotel in Memphis?