Anyone with replacement metal backing, does it scratch?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by iphone1105, Apr 27, 2011.

1. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

:DHey all! Considering a replacement metal backing for my iP4. If you have a metal back for you iP4 does it scratch easy? And does it make the phone heavier?? Thanks....:D

2. r6girl Administrator/Editor

r6girl

Staff Member

I have this one (purchased from cnn.cn before they stopped selling the Apple-branded ones): [​IMG]

It is not scratch-proof and the lettering and Apple logo in particular are prone to scratches or getting rubbed off entirely, unfortunately. I've had mine on for maybe 6 months now and still love it. I haven't done any actual weight comparisons between it and the original glass back but it hasn't made the iPhone heavier to me.

3. KoreaIphone macrumors newbie

[​IMG]

I just got it today..
    I don't know if it is sold in the US but I think mine is scrach resistant.

Check it out!!!

4. sparrky macrumors 6502a

sparrky

I have a black metal back, and while it has no scratches or fading, it does have several dents! I have no idea how they got there since I've never dropped my phone. So, apparently these dent easily. But I still like it since I don't have to deal with fingerprints :)

5. bestace macrumors member

I have a kzar titanium metal back case. Been a few weeks now and no problem. I dont use a case just a bumper. The titanium has no scratches so far.. Although i wouldnt put a knife to it or anything.

6. polzii macrumors 6502

Some of the "metal" backs sold on eBay are not metal. They have a metallic finish.

I got a black one which has a couple of dents now. Like the other poster, I don't know how the dents got there.

I recently got a silver one with raised iPhone lettering (seems like a fresh batch ) on the recommendation of another member and this one seems more sturdy. No scratches on the back but the apple logo which has a mirror finish does get scratched. It looks extremely good though and you don't notice the scratches on the logo unless u look really closely.

7. Frenchjay macrumors 68000

Frenchjay

Dude can you post a pic off that back with the raised lettering? I have one saved in my eBay favourites and I'm wondering if i should buy it or not :)

Is there a thread on here with any more pictures from the other user who advised you to buy it? Thanks!

8. polzii macrumors 6502

The thread I got the reco was titled "Brushed aluminum back....". I'll take some pics tomorrow and post them.

Here is a link to the one I bought :
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...ies&rt=nc&si=%2F7NCFTzCDxl3QdeT3wARZppC8hQ%3D

kaikai830 recommended the one at this link:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...ies&rt=nc&si=%2F7NCFTzCDxl3QdeT3wARZppC8hQ%3D

9. polzii macrumors 6502

Sorry for the delay in posting the pics, here they are (click image to see bigger size):

You can see how the apple logo (mirror finish) is already scratched up (Ive ben using the phone naked, lol). Any other imperfections you may see are just dust/grime from everyday usage, I dont clean it very often.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

cheers

10. Frenchjay macrumors 68000

Frenchjay

Yeah that's the one man :D they look really nice. I have seen one with a brushed finish, from the pictures that looks almost a matte silver.

Can I ask how much you paid for yours? The one i have saved is like 4.84£ shipped from Hong Kong!

11. RebeccaL macrumors 6502a

RebeccaL

Wasn't that a picture of the iPhone 5 according to this thread?

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1149608&highlight=

:D

12. Fuchal macrumors 68020

Where can you buy the kzar titanium back?

13. Frenchjay macrumors 68000

Frenchjay

14. polzii macrumors 6502

The one I got was from this ebay seller :

its $8 shipped, the only complaint I have is I cant find any of the ebay "metal" backs with a flash diffuser :(. Would gladly pay double for one with the diffuser.

15. Frenchjay macrumors 68000

Frenchjay

Yeah i have the same gripe really with the metal backs.
    They look really nice but i wish someone made one with the camera bezel and flash diffuser the same as the oem apple part. :(

You can buy a flash diffuser on it's own and you could probably stick it onto the metal back but im unsure because i have not yet seen a metal back in peson.