Anyone with rMB

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Knowy74, Apr 18, 2015.

1. Knowy74, Apr 18, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2015

Knowy74 macrumors newbie

How does the screen size of the 12" rMB feel compared to a 13" rMBP? Is it that much of a difference?

2. MTD's Mac macrumors regular

MTD's Mac

That's the same change I made. After lots of holding rulers up to my MacBook Pro, and playing with resolutions, I decided to go for it. The difference is barely noticeable. Maybe I sit slightly closer to compensate, but the screen is great at the 1440x900 resolution (that's what I had my MacBook Pro set to as well). Just as sharp, and the size difference is hard to notice. For me, anyway.

3. Knowy74 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. Really getting tempted to buy one. What do you think of yours so far?

4. MTD's Mac macrumors regular

MTD's Mac

Very, very pleased. For what I've done in the first two days on it, it's fast. A big step up in terms of battery life (2013 rMBP only got 7, and was getting less as it aged). I really like the softness of the gold color, but all three looked beautiful in the store when I went to pick it up. All of the USB-C concerns are solved, for me, by the VGA/USB-A/USB-C dongle, it works like a miniature docking station. I haven't used iMovie yet, that will test the processor a bit, but editing photos in Pixelmatr and Apple's new Photos app is quick. The low keys are actually nice IMO, giving little snaps and requiring very little pressure to actuate.

I did was the 1.3 GHz model, but didn't want to wait to pay more for something that might have a minimal benefit. Time will tell on that decision.

5. BFW122083 macrumors 6502

Coming from a late 2013 13" rmbp and currently typing on my rmb. I love it. The screen is noticeably smaller, though not by much. It's nothing like an 11" mba. The coolest thing as far as size goes is just how shrunken down it is compared to the mbp. There is zero wasted space around the keyboard and display which makes it seem SO small, but feels great.

I remember how thin I thought my rmbp was when I got it, and compared to this thing it's a brick. You'll notice the keyboard difference immediately, but it feels good. It has a "tightness" that just feels solid to type on.

I spent a while worrying about the specs. For what I do (spreadsheets, browsing, email, youtube, iMovie) I haven't noticed a difference in speed at all. I also haven't seen any lag that people talk about. Maybe I don't push it hard enough, but I guess I don't need to.

I got the usb-c to usb adapter for transferring videos from my phone, but airdrop does that in case its not with me. Overall very happy with the rmbp. The ONLY THING that sucks is the 480p camera. Yes, it looks like crap, but I never used it on my rmbp so I don't really care :)

6. newellj macrumors 603

It's close enough to the 13" rMBP for what I consider my "normal" uses that I'm now thinking about selling my rMBP, which I didn't plan to do. I often need to have two documents open side by side. 12" vs 13.3" is a little less comfortable, but it's such a dream to carry around...

7. BFW122083 macrumors 6502

You have the exact same macs as I do. Same boat as you are in, I was going to to keep my rmbp but this one is handling everything just fine that I'll probably let it go.

8. wwe2008 macrumors 6502

Your usage sounds very similar to mine, with added word etc... Can I ask what model you're using? I'm hoping to pick up a base model friday if my store is right and have some in stock!

9. BFW122083 macrumors 6502

I got the 1.2 512gb model. Not sure if it was "worth it" because I don't have the base model to compare it to. I guess I just wanted a little bump up just in case for video editing.

If you are ready to pull the trigger order from Best Buy, you'll have it in a couple days ;)

10. newellj macrumors 603

It's hard. First, the late 2013 and later rMBPs are really fine machines, very well balanced all around, a pleasure to use in every respect. There is also a safety margin effect, but I think I am finding that for what I use a laptop for the rMB is all I really need, and the desktops take care of the rest.

Here's another reason why the rMBP may not be needed:

----------

I did the same for about the same reason (spooky?). I looked at the $250 upcharge for the 1.3 gHz processor on the 1.1/256 and figured I could get half the bump on the CPU and double the fixed storage for about the same price. Wacky math, maybe, but it worked for me. Finding one last Monday at the only Best Buy in the area where I would pay no tax and could use a 10% coupon (which adds up to $260 of savings) completed my wacky math. :rolleyes:

11. PDFierro macrumors 68040

It's certainly good enough to be my only computer, not just my laptop. No desktop here! :)