Anyone with signal issues...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by neilem, Jul 22, 2010.

1. neilem macrumors newbie

If anyone is still having problems with the signal strength, try turning off 3G and Location via Settings section. I constantly had only 1-2 bars, but once turning them off my signal has improved massively; now getting 5 bars 90% of the time.

I reckon it is more 3G affecting the signal, but try with both off just to be sure. If it works, then turn on 3G only when needed.

Apologises in advance if this is already tried and tested, it just worked for me so thought I'd share.

2. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

3. neilem thread starter macrumors newbie

Probably, but I see many complaining about signal loss and calls being dropped - just thinking if anyone dealing with these problems try turning both Location and 3G off and see if the problem persists.

4. gigemzach macrumors 6502

Doesn't help me. :( Plus I could never use my phone without 3G.

5. neilem thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm assuming your previous iPhone worked fine connection wise, and you are now having problems with 4 (when turning off 3G)?

I had 1 bar connection all the time and by turning off Location and 3G fixed the issue for me (I understand it is different for other people). Now, I did do an "as new" restore before it, whether that contributed or not I don't know. Either way my phone is now working flawlessly, when I was on the verge of returning it so thought I'd see if it helped others with their problems.

6. ClutchThese macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

bro, edge and 3g are two different signals.

edge is a signla that is in more areas, but 3g is much quicker. Of course youre going to have a better edge signal, that doesn't change how the antenna receives signals.

7. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

The OP is correct, actuallly. When I called
    Apple about the signal issues they instructed me to turn off 3G. At least until AT&T finishes building the new Cell Tower near me.

8. Alonzo84 macrumors 6502a

Alonzo84

He knows the OP is correct in that turning off 3G will leave you with EDGE, which is available in more areas. That in turn will make your signal look better. But one or two bars of 3G is about the equivalent of five bars of EDGE. So it makes no difference.

9. ClutchThese macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

thank you... i was hoping someone knew what i said.

10. thetonyclifton macrumors regular

I think my reception is actually better...but just looks worse.

Northern Ireland doesnt seem to have great o2 3G coverage - with my last phone I was quite often on EDGE - this time I am usually on 3G (just) so instead of having 5 bars of edge I have 1-2 bars of 3G.

Not sure if that is a good thing or bad thing - but I dont seem to be dropping calls - I assume that instead of dropping a call - it would just drop down to the EDGE backup?