Anyone with the EVGA GTX 285 Mac Edition, please assist..

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Dragonforce, Feb 6, 2010.

1. Dragonforce macrumors 6502a

Dragonforce

I might get one because I'm getting annoyed by the cheap plastic ***** that they call Radeon 4870... I had to exchange it 2 times already via Apple Care because the fan rattled on the 1st one after 8 months of use, the 2nd one because it "whined" when it wasn't under load and the 3rd one I'm using right now is almost 45 secs in POST on each reboot... so 100% fan for that time

What I would like to know from a GTX 285 owner:

- Does the fan go to full blast during POST
    - during wake
    - fan noise during heavy load (3D gaming OS X / Windows)
    - fan noise idle

Thanks.

2. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

3. TheStrudel macrumors 65816

TheStrudel

Power On Self Test

When you turn the computer on, various components will test themselves as the power goes on to make sure everything's connected and working properly.

I'm pretty sure nearly all graphics cards go full blast during POST.

I've got a flashed 4870, which is way quieter than my old 8800 GT, but they both went full blast during POST, wake, and a heavy load such as gaming or heavy rendering in Motion.

I think it's like that for all graphics cards in OS X. Some are just more audible than others. My flashed Sapphire 4870, for example, uses a larger, but quieter fan, so it's far more tolerable. The 8800 was a whiner.

I'm kind of surprised  haven't pushed harder for passively cooled graphics cards...if they're going to use something anemic as the standard card for a Mac Pro anyway, right?

4. Dragonforce thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dragonforce

Well, my current stock 4870 from Apple takes 45-60 seconds to finish POST which makes my ears bleed. I'm going to get it exchanged again (3rd time now), but I'd rather get the GTX 285 which looks like it has a higher build quality. If anyone could say something about that EVGA card, please do so.

5. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

I have one, it works very well. When I'm doing anything except the initial boot (when the fans go on loud for about 5-10 seconds, but I don't think it's the GPUs fan, I don't know though), I can't actually hear anything. I've played Crysis, BFBC2, BF2142, LoL and I don't hear any noise, I could be wrong but it's certainly not disturbing if there is a sound, I'll check later I'm about to reboot into Windows anyway.

6. Dragonforce thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dragonforce

Thanks, waiting for your information, but that definetely sounds promising.

7. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

So is the fan noise the only reason you want to get the 285? You'd be shelling out quite a bit just for a noise reduction. Why not exchange the fan for an Accelero S1 Rev2? Then it'll be dead silent. And you'll save money.

8. Dragonforce thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dragonforce

Because I'll lose my warranty if I do that.
    I can sell my 4870 used on eBay for €250 ($341), a new GTX 285 will cost me $479 incl. shipping. Seems like a good deal to me.

9. TheStrudel macrumors 65816

TheStrudel

45-60 seconds to finish POST is long. My flashed card doesn't spend anywhere near that amount of time, and neither did my 8800 GT. I haven't heard anybody else describe that length of time, so there may be something iffy with your card.

May be worth looking into. Applecare also might do a replacement for you.

10. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

No real fan issues.

Recently it has been getting a bit noisy, but I think it's due to dust accumulation on the fans and I don't have any compressed air.

11. Dragonforce thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dragonforce

Sure something is wrong with this card.
    This was a replacement unit, the 2nd one. I should have no problems getting a new one again, but I honestly don't want a 4th 4870.

12. Techhie macrumors 65816

Techhie

When it gets to that point it's time to buy new hardware. I'd shell out for the 285, from what I hear it is a great card (in both power and noise aspects)

13. Topper macrumors 65816

Topper

I have zero complaints with my Mac Edition GTX 285 regarding noise.
    The only game I play is X-Plane which I use in Boot Camp (WinXP).
    I have a 30" monitor (2560 x 1600) and I play X-Plane at extreme rendering and 4xAA.
    The GTX 285 noise is very minimal.

I think the GTX 285 is an excellent card if you are working with both OS X and Windows.

14. dsiew81 macrumors member

3 strikes ...

Considering you have had so many bad experiences with Apple's 4870, why don't you try your luck in getting them to give you a GTX285 for free?

Could be worth a shot.

15. Dragonforce thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dragonforce

Actually I already asked for that - but since this card is not covered by Apple Care in any way they're unable to do that. I could get another 4870 tho (but I don't want another)

Well anyway, I'm still interested in this cards fan behaviour :)

16. dsiew81 macrumors member

I'm sure you could work out something with Apple for a GTX. Perhaps come to an agreement to replace the 4870 one more time but if it fails a fourth time, you will be given a GTX. It seems you have had a really bad run and well, to be frank, 3 faulty replacements would be absolutely shocking.

But then, there are two separate topics here -- obtaining a GTX, and secondly, its fan performance.

17. Topper macrumors 65816

Topper

I doubt they can do that. The GTX 285 is not an Apple BTO card. The HD 4870 is.

18. dsiew81 macrumors member

19. Dragonforce thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dragonforce

This.

20. xgman macrumors 601

xgman

No fan noise at all at post
    Relatively no fan noise heard at all especially compared to the noisy 8800 that came with the mac pso.

21. Dragonforce thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dragonforce

This settled the deal for me, thanks @ all for the informations given :)
    Going to order it today from OWC